Health & Family Underweight People

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Phantom, 21st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Some of you may have noticed the thread regarding stomach surgery to assist people that are obese lose weight. It got me thinking about the opposite problem. People who are underweight. I'm not necessarily talking about anorexia. Just people who have a hard time putting on weight.
    It can be their genes, predisposing them to a slim shape and low mass. Or maybe incorrect intake of the required nutrients to sustain the appropriate mass for that body type?
    There are people, who have a huge intake but just can't seem to put any weight on. Is it the fast metabolism? Is it something else?

Just thought this topic was worth some conversation.

MTR likes this.
  2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Oh the cross some of us must bear.

This is almost a contender for the first word problems thread.

3. turk

turk Well-Known Member

York

How do you define underweight?

4. Phantom

With that comment I'll assume you're the kind of person that thinks skinny people should be content because they aren't 'fat'. That only fat people have a problem regarding their weight. Does that sound about right?

5. Phantom

Someone who's bodyweight is below what is considered healthy.

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Dude im from Italian stock, if you're underweight they basically tell you to divorce your wife.

7. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Yes but what is considered healthy, what are your benchmarks?

8. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I'm 80kg at 6ft tall while being only moderately active.
    I'd really like to carry myself at 90kg, but unless I stuff myself for months on end while training hard and getting plenty of sleep, it's hard for me to gain decent mass.

MTR, Xenia and Phantom like this.
  9. Phantom

I don't have benchmarks on the subject. It is just a general topic for discussion.

MTR likes this.
  10. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

we have a friend (J) whose whole family (mother and 4 boys) have a nutrient intake issue. It is a bit of a problem as they all really have to watch what they eat or they get sick pretty quickly.

J is now in his mid 30's and would know more about the nutrient content of food than anybody I know :) He knows he NEEDS to have the correct volume of carbs to protein ( for him) and food parings to assist nutrient intake.

All of them actually eat quite high protein and very high fat to keep healthy.

11. Phantom

Maybe someone who is below the weight they should be causing them to have adverse health effects.

12. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Ace, you look damn fine girl in your profile pic. You just stay the way you are hun! ;)

pinkboy

Ace in the Hole and House like this.
  13. Phantom

Has their weight been affected by the change in diet? Have they managed to put weight on? Or was weight never an issue for them?

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Easy way to put on weight... go on a cruise holiday. Go on as a passenger, come off as cargo.

legallyblonde, Travelbug, MTR and 3 others like this.
  15. Phantom

Does that solution also apply for overweight people? Divorcing their wives?

16. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Their weights are all low, but they don't look too skinny. The Mum looks a bit too thin as she is getting older, but the boys are all just tall and thin. Unless you know them, you would not know there was a problem. If J doesn't eat properly, he loses weight pretty quickly and starts to get sick. ( No energy, pale skin ) LOTS of protein, butter and olive oil gets him back up in a few days.

17. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

:D:)My kids are all "under weight" under 5th percentile. I was too most of my life.

I loved it

Now I'm 168 cm tall and 55kg, not underweight anymore by any means but it is what it is. I love food.

Yes it can be a problem because society defines a very narrow range of weight that is considered to be ok.

I would be asked all my life why I was so skinny, it is considered rude to ask someone why they are so fat but not the other way around.

People also love to make up stories that are not true and this was the worst part about being very thin, to listen constantly to all that bs.

It's not healthy - bs, more diseases associated to being fat.
    You may have trouble getting pregnant - bs, after a descision to start a family I was pregnant the very next month with all kids - one try
    You will have trouble breastfeeding - bs - all 3 children were breastfed for first 12 months of their lives.
    You must not eat very much - bs - I'm a wog, love food.
    You must really watch what you eat - no I counted calories once using a calorimeter at uni but that was it.

Even the medical profession wanted to keep my children in longer because they were in the lower percentile. The system is based on bigger people, I was 43 kg when I had my first child and 52 kg at 9 months. I thought there was something wrong with first child but by second or third, I walked out and did not want to hear it.

No matter what you look like or do, people will always make up stories to try to explain to themselves why, I used to get very annoyed about stuff like that but now I just ignore it.
    I'm happy with who I am and don't need to explain it to anyone.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Xenia
    you look amazing:)

MTR

Xenia likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

that is funny
    Have heard it's a food fest, not for me

MTR:)

Xenia likes this.