Understanding Brisbane

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Noobieboy, 22nd Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aushousingcrash

aushousingcrash Well-Known Member

*2011 floods were a massive setback.
    *QLD already had very high (c40%) investor penetration (yet also little barrier to OO entry with low SD rates)
    *50% of QLD population is not in Brisbane. QLD is the most decentralised of all states.

2. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Foreign dollars missed bne

3. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

agree with you on Queen Street mall the change in the last few years has been quite amazing to the CBD it's really quite busy now I think that's a good thing because having that foreign exposure - and let's face it majority of people that are out in the city past working hours do seem to be foreign - is actually pretty good because it might bring some investment and some migration. Three developing Brisbane's reputation internationally. I really think people underestimate how much influence foreign money had on the Sydney and Melbourne booms

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  4. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Yes. I can see a lot of investments in the pipeline. Qeens Wharf, HS Wharf, Cross River Rail, Brisbane metro and so one reference

This large amount of investment is likely to boost the local economy.

The great thing about Brisbane is that it is not really concentrated in one area. New university campus is being built north of Brisbane. Light rails south of Brisbane. There is a lot happening.

Pumpkin, kierank and iloveqld like this.
  5. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

these scooters are amazing,

6. Noobieboy

Scooters will not create a boom! :D:D
    Need to get Tesla factory started in Brisbane. That will create a BOOM

7. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Those scooters will be a boom for personal injury lawyers

8. Noobieboy

Nice one. I wonder if they will end up in the river eventually like all dem bicycles in Melbourne.

9. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Not correct - according to ABS Vic & ACT are Australia’s fastest growing states/territories @ 2.2% pa. 3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Jun 2018

Agree that as southern states become unaffordable some people will move to Qld for cost of living (mainly from NSW interstate migration loss is to Qld & Vic but NSW is largest international arrivals destination then Vic).

Those into retirement phase I would suggest would target the SC or GC, those not in retirement would need jobs to move which is the Qld economy holding it back atm.
    I agree though that Qld & SA has likely a greater short term upside that Vic & NSW simply due to much cheaper housing price points if nothing else but there are thousands of factors effecting the market.

Hold off a bit longer Brisbane until i am ready to buy! :)

10. Noobieboy

Good point. My post could have been slightly confusing.

Queensland unemployment at 6.2% rate is still trivial compared to a lot of great places (like [email protected]%, [email protected]%, Italy@ 10.3%, Spain @ 15%, Belgium @ 5.7%). EU in general has a higher unemployment rate than QLD, with EU at 6.76%.

Source: OECD Statistics

I agree that in medium term, if the state government picks up the slack and becomes slightly more forward looking, Queensland could be the THING! At this stage it seems to me that Brisbane council is more innovative than state government. They took out advertisements in Sydney and Melbourne promoting the city (museums, music and even as "start up capital" of Australia).

11. Noobieboy

So...**drumroll** in last 3 years Brisbane actually outperformed Sydney (that and 1 year and 12 months).

Capture.JPG

12. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Take a suburban train in Brisbane and you will get the idea .. Brisbane has fairly poor demographics as soon as you leave inner/middle city rings. Last time I went to Brisbane a few months ago, I saw drug dogs on airport train resulting in few arrests, a train guard charging towards and yelling at an Indian lady at central station for standing too close to edge of the plateform (similar behavior would be seen as assault in Sydney) and an aboriginal boy trying to board a bus without any money on him.

Most of Brisbane reminds me of Redfern from 15+ years ago. It’s still a bit rough and unwelcoming in comparison to Sydney and Melbourne.

13. Noobieboy

You should see all the people that board buses in Sydney without paying or with 2 cents on their cards so the reader fails. They are dressed pretty well, but some of them are rotten.

But yeah. I agree some of Brisbane areas are still fairly backwards and remind me of Sydney 15 years ago. I lived in Redfern 18 years ago. I liked it and don’t mind it. Was better than the fake Redfern today.

wilso8948 likes this.
  14. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, as you said..once you leave the inner and mid, it needs some gentrification...of people primarily...

Whitecat likes this.
  15. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

I have lived in Brisbane for 18 years and have never seen any of the above events ... do you work for the Sydney or Melbourne property councils ? Pretty sure most of those crazy racist rant videos on trains etc are n Sydney ... Racist, anti-Asian rant on Sydney train caught on camera - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

HUGH72 likes this.
  16. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

I assume we must be talking Ipswich, Logan or caboolture.

17. standtall

No - I am actually invested quite a bit in Brisbane but not fully desensitised as I have never lived in Brisbane long term.

I moved to Sydney from overseas 15 years ago and lived in inner west (Ashfield) for first few years. Sydney was very similar to current day's Brisbane at that time but it has become a completely different place with all the global wealth and diversity making it a lot more inclusive place.

Brisbane inner ring definitely feels like Sydney and given a choice I would probably love to live in suburbs like South Brisbane, West End, Milton etc. etc. but it does feel a bit rough once you visit outer suburbs.

I am not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with that but diversity does improve social functioning of a society as people are more open to differences and generally more welcoming.

18. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Maybe I am just insulated as I live in the inner west of Brisbane ...

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Me too. But inner south east. I've had a few trips to Logan and the vibe is very different. We do live in a bit of a bubble I guess and don't generally see things outside our bubble too often.

20. standtall

You have hit the nail on the head here. To me Brisbane feels like parts of New Jersey/New York where locals insulate themselves to certain areas and intuitively learn to ignore undesirable parts of the city.

Patrick Bateman likes this.