Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Under house fans

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by neK, 11th Jan, 2016.

1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I have an Victorian style house built in in the 1900's. Unfortunately being an older house, i do tend to get moisture problems and the only way the house gets a breeze is through these tiny 10cm x 20cm floor vents (everything is blocked up, not like other homes on stumps where a breeze can run freely across).

I've installed underfloor vent fans Quad Fans - Envirofan Sub-Floor Ventilation Solutions, Sydney - Reduce Mould - Prevent Termites several years ago and that hasn't done much, the ground is still constantly damp.

I'm thinking of going out to bunnings and buying the following Dynabreeze 30cm Yellow Extraction Fan with a hose Dynabreeze 5m Extraction Fan Hose.

Very much aware that these things aren't going to be quiet, however I only intend to run this every so often (while I am out at work etc).

I'm either going to:
    1. Put the entire thing under floor and run it for several hours at a time (I'll use a timer or something to give it a break)
    2. Connect it to the house and feed that under the house. The fan itself will then remain above the floor.

Is there anything i can potential break? Surely during up the ground is better than having it damp. Thoughts?

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Injection of silicon into brickwork to create a damp proof course wherever you have rising damp.

Improve subfloor ventilation by replacing the vents with larger wire vents.

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

This is the hard part... i can't. Don't have the room.

The previous owner cemented around the house, as a result the some of the vents are actually on the same ground level as the cement driveway. I can't go higher either due to the height of the existing floor. The vents are already wire vents.

On the side where i do have the height, I already have 3 ventilation fans installed that suck air out of the subfloor and out.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Are the fans really extracting, or maybe they do next to nothing unless all the floor etc is sealed up as well.

Just a thought, I lived in a place that was like this, it was a mouldy old hole, the problem really laid in the land itself, the location, the surrounds and that basically it had about 6-12 inches of dirt on top of rock, so rock acted like a pool and dirt retained moisture.