QLD Under $450k Keperra/Arana Hills vs Kippa Ring/Margaret

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by new_investor, 22nd Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. new_investor

new_investor Member

Hi all,
    Just wondering what PC community would suggest on buying under $450k and choosing between these two areas. Would you suggest staying as close as possible to CBD or invest in an area where there is government spending happening but further out from CBD.
    This is to buy my first IP so looking to set the foundation right and chasing capital growth. Budget is flexible and can go upto $500k as well.
    thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice/comments.

2. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Keperra and Arana hills every day of the week if its the same price...which its not the last time I checked. Those two suburbs are beautiful and not that far from cbd.

Whitecat likes this.
  3. Iantheexpert

Iantheexpert Member

I think thats a very broad question but I will try to answer it from my experience.
    If you buy close to CBD, then the 500k won't give you much, maybe an apartment or so. However, if you invest in an area further away where there is gov't spending, then you might be able to secure at least 2 houses or so for the same 500k. And in a very short time, more people will be occupying the area and the capital growth might be very healthy....But again, its a broad answer since the location of where the gov't spending matters.
    I would advise you to compare the current growth rates in the cbd from realtors and the future plan of the area where the gov't is investing in. From, there, you will be able to get a more concrete answer. ALL THE BEST IN YOUR ENDEAVOURS.

Whitecat likes this.
  4. new_investor

new_investor Member

Thanks guys for the responses. Really appreciate it.
    I have to admit that I'm still in early stages of researching into these areas. From recent sales in these areas, i believe houses with different land sizes can be bought in under 500k.

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Second vote for as close to Brisbane CBD as possible.

Keperra has a train station and is fairly close to CBD, Arana Hills has easy access to train in Dawson Pde.

6. Sam Yue

Sam Yue Well-Known Member

Agreed. I bought a house in Enoggera two and half years ago. At that time and after, the south side of Brisbane had been quite hot. But looking back now, the price growth of Enoggera is not second to Sunnybank.

7. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Keperra for $500k (might need some work).

Whitecat and Elives like this.
  8. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

I agree with the others in this thread. Definitely would prefer Keperra over all the other options. Arana Hills is ok but no train station. Kippa Ring would be ok too if you can get something of reasonable value and close to the new Redcliffe train line. Not sure what Margaret is?

Whitecat likes this.
  9. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Try one suburb out from Kippa and go for Redcliffe :)

10. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

+1 for Kippa Ring

11. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Whitecat and ndpjai like this.
  12. sash

sash Well-Known Member

All three are good to get into now....

13. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Make that three.
    Brisbane is all about closeness and/or easy and quick access to the CBD.
    Possible exceptions may be the Chinese areas where the market has and will exhibit Glen Waverley type behaviour, although muted as Brisbane is not on the Chinese radar as much-and this makes the Chinese areas in Brisbane less attractive in my view..

Whitecat and Sackie like this.
  14. fuudrizzle

fuudrizzle Active Member

Were you able to buy a second IP anytime soon with your current income + savings in the near future? If not then closer to city is safer and pray for the better capital growth with the research you've done as I've noticed the rental return/yield in Arana Hills compared to Kippa Ring were fairly similiar so your next borrowing capacity shouldn't be much different.

If you were able to buy again soon run the numbers through with your broker and see what your borrowing capacity will be after your 1st prospective property as the lending criteria is actually pretty strict at the moment.

new_investor likes this.
  15. new_investor

new_investor Member

Thanks for your advice. after spending a day in Brisbane and looking at different areas, i am more inclined towards staying close to cbd as much as possible.
    Having said that , Scarborough and redcliff are also worth keeping an eye on in case something really good comes up.
    From borrowing pov, i won't be able to borrow much straight after buying this one so yes,have to stick closer to cbd.

16. thokkotu

thokkotu Well-Known Member

17. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Is trouts road quite busy during peak, also nowadays very difficult to negotiate.
    For example the below property I was eager to try 475K last week, the agent was not even interested, its under offer on friday and saturday open home cancelled, heard nearly approx. 10 offers within a week, not sure how true :)

24 Castlecor Ferny Grove Qld 4055 - House for Sale #124013722 - realestate.com.au

Whitecat likes this.
  18. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

Whitecat likes this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Trouts rd is nowhere near as busy as Webster and Appleby. However take a look at the north Brisbane transport corridor. These houses are cheap for a reason. In saying that the traffic corridor was mentioned when i was a kid and it still hasn't happened. The govt got right onto it last month once the new train line was opened. They are talking about a train line and bus lanes rather than for cars. I would go Cutbush and the above McAdam one being a little further away. Cutbush is fairly busy too with cars parked outside the homes all day. I would like a development site on Trouts rd.

20. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

+1 for Keperra/Arana Hills.

Had a look at a place in Keperra (Glenmorgan St) a few weeks back, it went under contract quite quickly - would have been a good buy; solid, brick, but needed a freshen up. I'm guessing it went for around the +/- $500k mark.

I noticed another for sale in the same street when I was looking over the weekend - offers over $470k... quite a sloping block, so maybe that will affect the price a little. May go for an inspection this weekend.

Keperra has good amenities, close to shops (large shopping centre across the road from these houses) and as others have mentioned - good transport.

I do like Grovely and Ferny Grove too - might be something there that fits your criteria?

ndpjai likes this.