VIC Unbelievable prices in inner west melbourne

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Hodge, 30th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What a coincidence I purchased 11 and 12 Oxley court and put a DA (8 units) together I think in 2009????

picked the 2 houses/maisonettes for land/deve total cost of $597K, sold it one year later with DA, 8 reverse living apartments to builder for $907K, a quick flip.
    I cant find the other link for 12 Oxley Court, Broadmeadows.

This is not even a good location, the rail is practically in the backyard, I purchased sight unseen, only interest in what I could do with the land. The neighbours wanted me to buy their properties, I stalled but once they realised I was not going to buy they objected to my development/DA...... the basturds, I won

11 Oxley Court, Broadmeadows, VIC 3047 Sale & Rental History - Property 360

Last edited: 1st May, 2017
  2. willister

willister Well-Known Member

FOMO in most auctions is what I figure is happening.....most people who have sat on the fence for 12mth+ probably took the plunge seeing how quickly prices shot up.

I know a lot of friends trying to buy cheap once a crash comes...but realistically I think prices would just stand still, move slightly downwards if so...

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No one knows how low when it comes to corrections? It will be dependent on many factors, product, location, suburb etc.

What people don't realise is blue chip also gets hammered when markets correct. We have seen this happen before in many States.

I have also noticed that markets spike up the most when we are close to peak? something to keep in mind.

Not saying Melb is peaking, I don't know, however..... important to manage LVR at this point in time.

In saying this, I love Melb ..... its a beautiful story.....numero uno for immigration, a vibrant city, food capital of Australia, serviced based industries.... even if it corrected, buy well and you would be sitting pretty, buy a couple of development sites within 17Km from city and you hold for the next boom cycle, develop these and it could be your go out of Jail Card.

MTR:)

Ben_j likes this.
  4. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

got a few in melb bought last year 500kish, all have moved to 700-900Kish now some reached that in even 6 months.

5. willister

Wow, I'd be really eager if those Blue Chip suburbs slash 100-200K lol...buy buy buy!

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, I am looking at Hawthorn at the moment, older units seem cheap compared to other blue chip? Could be wrong and still just working on it, not necessarily buying at the moment. Can even get those rare 3 bedroom older units which are very appealing, as they are unique, still cheaper than other inner city stuff.

Collingwood, Flemington seem to represent good value in todays market.

charttv likes this.
  7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

MTR likes this.
  8. willister

Yeah but if we drew a 20km radius around Melbourne, so would so many other suburbs? IMHO the only real ugly duckling in Melbourne was Ashburton. It was nestled amongst a prestigious suburbs like Glen Iris and Camberwell. Sure, it also had Chadstone, Ashwood - both as bad as Ashburton was, but it was just surrounded by wealthier, family orientated suburbs in all directions.

Arguably, you could also say Heidelberg West but probably not as much as it is next to places like Rezza and to the West of that, pretty much all on the lower-socio ladder of the chain.

If I was a gambling man, I'd bet St. Albans would be a better bet? Similar distance give or take 1-2kms.

9. melbournian

come on - take a punt in St Albans you basically know it like the ur backyard

My architect told me his client bid in auction (2 months ago) in heidelberg West 850-870K and said that was too much. Bang now similar block 950K. Heidleberg West has more housing comm houses than reservoir in terms of volume and numbers (and some parts of ramu pde) u see this only in the slummy areas of ascot vale (housing comm) or werribbee (housing comm)

10. willister

Nah, I am not a betting man hahaha. Like life as it is now without mortgage stress or too much of it.

Speaking of Commission houses and off topic but as I was doing my daily run at the weekend at my parent;s place, I think I saw a commission house in Glen Waverley. It looked very sus like an old commission hose but not entirely sure, I was surprised though...

11. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Yes cool
    That's a good view point too

13. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

723m² of prime land, reno looks top notch, walking distance to the train station and only 26 minutes into the CBD.

I think the market has spoken. :)

14. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Yes but that land size is pretty normal in the older parts of the suburb. The median house price in Deer Park is around 500k. A nice reno (especially considering how small the house is for the area) doesn't make it worth 200k more IMO. Just my 2c.

Air_Bender likes this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yes but is St Albans littered with development sites? Broadmeadows, many streets have potential to develop

16. melbournian

17. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

But isn't Deer park close to two metropolitan prisons?One of the reasons why it is comparatively cheap

18. melbournian

The whole area in the middle of the station is zoned growth and commercial (ACZ) and then further now to the ginifer station it is zoned growth.

I recall when that place close to the shopping district got sold 1.8 mil for for 600sqm. bought by some Viet Sydney investor. Viets got some serious money I kid you not. he was upset as the place that he wanted was bought over by the council due to some clause and hence didn't want to miss out. After that those places were going 1.6-1.8 in that vicinity. I got friends who live in the area and agents who told me who the buyer was. THis kind of info (not many people would know)

MTR likes this.
  19. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Perhaps the new lending restrictions are placing a limit on what most can spend pushing up outer burbs.

20. willister

Give it 3 months, it will move into "untouchable" territory. Rezza shot up during late 2016, T-Town is now shooting up. Maidstone is 10km from the CBD...no PT access though, same as Braybrook. In 2007, I had agents ringing me 24/7 for Braybrook prorperties in the low 200ks to mid 200ks.

Look at this one:

16 Menzies Street, Braybrook, Vic 3019 - Property Details

$760k! 2 Bedroom Weatherboard house, rent-able condition without too many renos. But 2.6 to the nearest station (Sunshine) and this is going backwards from the CBD. Roughly 10kms or so from the CBD itself...

Please note that Deer Park is not served by the Metro line, rather it is served by V-Line, advantages and disadvantages.

Further that property faces an oncoming road, not very good in my books especially at night when there are shining lights.