Unauthorised work - where do I stand?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Bran, 27th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

@Bran I've sent your pm an invoice for my time too. Payment within 28 days, or expect a call from my solicitor :D

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Wow! is it 2 story or something (guess if old QLD'r it's considered, but still throw a ladder without safety gear etc).
    Let's say a box of 1000 hex heads cost $150, inflated hourly rate of $100, and inflated it took 8 hours...

Personally having been a handyman, incl for agencies, if you're not prepared to do it yourself be prepared to pay for it.
    However, whilst I know some who don't, I always had empathy for clients who had no idea what to do, how to use a drill etc.

3. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

This is exactly why my partner is getting rid of her current PM.

They would send an email saying shower head had broken and already called a plumber at $250 to change it before we had decided to do anything. It's a shower head anyone can change that!

Along with discounting the rent for their own benefit, not returning calls, and telling us about repairs 2 weeks after they happen, we got sick of their terrible service and have since removed them from both IPs and increased rent accordingly :D

D.T. likes this.
  4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think this is just residential property. I haven't seen any positive with this particular property in ten years. :/

5. Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

I would read my rental agreement. Often, there is a clause that PM can spend xx amount of dollars on property maintenance or urgent items needing attention. some agreements will say when owner is not contactable, other may exclude this. I am sure PM's on the forum will be able to shed more light on this.

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

there is, but its a very low limit. Certainly way less than $1000

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sounds like the PM's problem, they were the ones that contacted the roofer.

bob shovel likes this.
  8. mush

mush Well-Known Member

This whole thread has lost me!
    Since when does an insurance company demand that a roof is compliant before they will ensure you?
    Upwards of 90% of newly constructed homes in Australia do not comply with Building Code Of Australia requirements and established properties cannot be compliant due to the ever evolving compliance issues.
    If the insurance companies wish to start this malarkey then they should be sending out suitably qualified assessors or requesting reports from approved inspectors PRIOR to insuring your property.
    I have heard of insurance companies insuring people over the telephone and then refusing to pay out following a fire or some similar disaster many years later when their assessors have found that the property was not compliant.
    If this is becoming commonplace then we have every right to feel extremely angry and worried as I can assure you that the vast majority of Australian property does not comply to BCA and Australian standard requirements.

S.T and vbplease like this.
  9. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I'm curious to know as well.. Why has the ins co asked you to upgrade your roof?

10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

The roofer sent me an invoice today - for $1320.

I spoke to the insurance company (Elders) said that they either want a new roof or adequate screw spacing, and they were happy with what was done - the quote was $5500. No other company had this requirement.

Some weren't happy to insure brick veneer.Others wouldn't cover it at all (inundation risk).

Given there is no saving, I would never have approved the work.

I've told the PM I didn't approve the work, and wouldn't pay.

She acknowledged that it was that the roofer made the mistake.

Now what. Actively refuse to pay, or just ignore it?

(I went with suncorp - $2500pa. And I review my ANZ - was $6500 a year!!!!! This is why doctors are never rich).

Last edited: 2nd Dec, 2015
  11. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Oh noes, another weeks pay :p

12. bob shovel

If there is no benefit by the work done you should not pay as you originally only wanted a quote and would not have proceeded.

Did you need it done to meet building code or insurance requirements? If not, don't pay.

He's gone ahead off his own bat with out approval. His loss, not sure whether you've gained anything

13. bob shovel

A day you mean! :p

14. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you

(Just kidding).

bob shovel likes this.
  15. bob shovel

Haha!
    Your a city doc I assume. Thought about going rural? Then you'll get that hourly rate!

16. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Yes I did. But I'm no longer a generalist, and the stuff I do is simply not able to be done outside a big city. I literally get people from all over the state. Unfortunately, by the time they get to me they have often had multiple previous operations and I feel bad for them. I'm a softie, but the big money is not in my specialty anyway.

I could do a day a week rurally, and make a packet, but I like being home and need to be accessible (big operations = potential dramatic complications).

17. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Nope.
    One storey. But it is in FNQ where the roof probably gets hot :)

18. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If it goes to court you will probably lose. Best not to ignore.

19. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

This is insane. In no way did anyone give him authority!!

Terry, if I lose - can I claim the expense AND the court costs?

If I could think of ANY benefit, I'd pay, or at least negotiate, but there is none. Even a cyclone with the roof staying put would cost me an opportunity for some insurance funded repairs/replacements.

20. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

He did the work and you benefited from it. he will also argue there was a verbal agreement.

If you lose there would be a judgment against you. Not sure if that would change the deductibility of the expense or not. I don't think your legal costs would be deductible.