Unauthorised access. NO NOTICE. Walked in on tenant naked and unapologetic.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Paws of Fury, 13th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Paws of Fury

Paws of Fury Active Member

Recently moved to Tassie and the managing agency is a cowboy outfit.

In short- Unauthorised access by agents contractor. NO NOTICE given to tenant verbally or written. Walked in on tenant naked and Agency unapologetic. I am the tenant.

In detail-
    First Thursday after moving in:
    Tenant- Pest control needed as property has ticks.
    Agent- The pesty will call you to arrange a day as we prefer you deal with them directly. Should we give them keys?
    Tenant- No do not release keys. I want to be home when they are here as pets will need minding.
    Agent- Ok they will call you to arrange for a day and time.

Tenant received NO CALL from the pesty or the agent. No phone, email or post to suggest a day or time.No notice EVER informing a day or even a week for maintenance.

Monday- Pesty enters property unlocking with Agency keys straight into the living room. Tenant semi-naked breastfeeding the newborn. Tenant mortified, scarred and very upset at being walked in on seminaked.

Pesty apologetic. He was told by agency its end of lease spray at a vacant property. So tenant writes to the Property manager annoyed about unauthorised access and enquiring why no notice was given to tenant?

Director replies saying they "expect" a vacant house if maintenance is requested and "thought" nobody will be home.
    Tenant- "You cant expect a vacant house without informing tenant to vacate. And that is precisely what notice of entry is for. You must Use that in future or atleast inform tenant that someone intends to access the property."
    Over the next 4 emails back and forth this director did not admit their fault, refused to apologise for unauthorised access and especially for such a sensitive issue. So not only does this agency not believe in notice of entry but also assume tenant must vacate property indefinitely upon requesting any maintenance. Also tenants should keep the agency informed of all the occupants whereabouts?

I'm baffled! This old man must be smoking some very strong stuff to be so deluded and out of line. How is such behaviour ok down here?? I've heard such stories from other people here too. We love Tassie but must say the people down here are strange and a law unto themselves. We need some beautiful friendly mainlanders down here..especially cheery queenslanders.

Last edited: 13th May, 2020
    luckyone and Dan Wood like this.
  2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

You could potentially issue a breach notice to them and/or claim a small amount general damages from the lessor.

Stoffo, luckyone and Dan Wood like this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

That’s no good!

Are you the tenant at this property or the landlord - or some other connection?

Dan Wood likes this.
  4. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

He is the pest control guy.

thesuperman and Dan Wood like this.
  5. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Well next time he will knock since it is common sense.

If everyone is related it shouldn't matter if you walk in on them?

6. Paws of Fury

I am the tenant! :p

7. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Follow what @thatbum said.

8. Paws of Fury

Renting for the first time in a decade is now making me wonder if a lot of tenants have to deal with such ridiculousness :confused:

Dan Wood and Perp like this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I doubt it. That’s why there are protocols.

Incidentally, breastfeeding without any clothes on is definitely an achievement in Tassie weather- possibly medal-worthy! Still, not an ideal experience....very surprising the pest guy didn’t apologise.

Last edited: 14th May, 2020
    Dan Wood likes this.
  10. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I think OP said the pest control guy was super apologetic, and they were only semi-naked. TBH though breast feeding is totally natural, I don't see what the big deal is over it (not the OP specifically, society in general).

Yes and no. Agents are a mixed bag - some are great, some not so much. The best tenancies are ones where the place is kept in good repair and the rent is paid so the agent and tenant only ever speak to each other once every 3-6 months for inspections. I will say some agents get needlessly combative - I once had an agency try claim on the bond for a service that I told them had already been booked in and invoice provided, and then refuse to conciliate meaning a magistrate had to inform them that was silly.

11. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Cheers to that, you are my friend already. How about come here to Sunny Brisbane?
    One of our good friends have moved to Tassie last year, she seems happy not too sure which part though.

It's unfortunate with your PM, and please dont think all PMs are like that. Would suggest you to nib it in the bud, and tell them this is unacceptable: nobody should enter your private residence without notice, written or verbal. I hope the Owner is made aware of this.
    The Pest guy is not that smart either. I always knock whenever I enter any place, regardless of what I was told... Especially now in the midst of Covid. Surely most people would be staying at home?

Think you have enough ideas from other already. Let us know how you go and if you need any further advice.

Take care!