Unapproved structures

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Tokyoporky, 13th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tokyoporky

Tokyoporky Member

Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on unapproved structures? Say a patio or carport (no visible structural issues), value add

I’m looking a Moreton bay suburbs in Brisbane and most properties have these structures unapproved. I know you can’t use it as a bargaining chip right now in a hot market.

Have you had any issues with this? With council issuing a fine? Or are retrospective approvals expensive etc?

Thanks so much!

2. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

You can get a private certifier to check it out for you - if decently constructed can usually be certified. Do get them done as there are many insurance implications..

Stoffo and Tokyoporky like this.
  3. carfield

carfield Well-Known Member

Hi Tokyoporky

did you eventuay get one? i just purchased in brisbane middle ring, realized patio cover lacks final approval. I dont want to back out just for it, so was it simple process and cost to get your final approval?

4. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

Our deck was done 1974, non compliant, not approved. Insurance claim on roof, they upgraded the decking roof as it had to be destroyed to be removed.

I spent 5k to approve the replacement deck a year after and the builder said barely anyone does it because it's money for nothing essentially.

Another place we bought had huge Reno, nothing approved, still had to pay well for it, because Everyone else doesn't care.

I'd say in a slow market or something really poorly done you may have issues. Otherwise mbrc seem to turn a blind eye.

5. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

It's a pretty simple process just get a certifier to.visit for a few hundred dollars and they will let you know if any additional work is needed on it before they will sign off on it. Paperwork ranges from $400 - 800.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia