QLD unapproved repairs

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Carlos86, 29th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Carlos86

Carlos86 Member

I’ve bought a property in Queensland a few months ago and rented it out.

My property manager organised repairs on some stairs for 6k which I approved. Now that the repairs are done she said that the trade went ahead and did further repairs for 1k that at no point I approved.

I’m very upset and I’ve decided to switch property managers. My question is that if it’s reasonable I decline to pay those extra 1k. I would think it is but I wanted to have some insights from this forum.

Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How much is on the authority for the agent?

Stoffo likes this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Shouldn't have to ask, but what were the "further repairs" ?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

At what point did the PM know or approve of the extra repairs? Were the extra repairs necessary? On on some renovations extra work become necessary due to what was found during that process.

When we got in the ceiling of one property we found a disused water tank, lurching to one side and at risk of going through the ceiling. The pipes were pretty bad too, so we removed the ceiling and some joists. Then we decided to put an attic under the roof, which was quite tall. In that job we found a roof support that was in danger of breaking, so that was replaced.

I'd also ask if the extra work is value for money. On the job above an internal kitchen wall was being removed before being replaced; the wall was not in good condition at all. The builder had an idea - turn the adjacent small bedroom into a dining room. I asked a few people and most said yes.

It may be as simple as an urgent decision being needed by the PM, or it could be that the PM is slack and exceeded the remit. You authorised $6000, job cost $7000.

I'd pay for the stairs after you have inspected them and not pay the $1000 until the above is clarified. Tread softly - the extra $1000 may have got a good result, and the PM should be kept on side. Explain to the PM what is happening.

Last edited: 29th Apr, 2022
    Phoenix Pete and Stoffo like this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Scott means "how much did you authorize your managing agent to spend " (tip, it is in the agreement with them that you signed).

In addition, did you see the actual quote ?
    Did it provide for a set amount of work but included a clause for if when demolished we find further hidden/unseen termite damage that these repairs will be additional.....

Phoenix Pete likes this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

And it might be cheaper if it’s essential repairs anyway and saves another callout.

op, calm down and state the facts. Understand its never fun to get extra bills but getting ‘upset’ doesnt help.

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

For someone working as an accountant who should be focused "On the details" I found the original post to be "lacking in detail" :oops:

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.