unacceptable fence and verandah works

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by deezee, 16th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

Hi members,

I had this fence installed in October this year. Tenant reported that it slanted and bent within one week. The tradie returned to "fix" the problem. Then came the strong wind, and the same fence bent again [photos]. My PM tried texting, ringing and emailing the tradie but he ignored her.

I was the one who engaged this tradie from the oneflare website. He had 5 star reviews, but my experience with him was the opposite. I rang him using another number, he picked the call immediately. As soon as he knew it was me, he hung up. Then cut off all my subsequent calls.

I texted him telling him that I would report him to the tribunal. He immediately texted back saying that he would try to come back to fix the problem at no extra charge.

As seen in the photo, the cement at the fence posts had cracked. The way he previously fixed the problem was by sticking a metal thing into the ground. I doubt he would come back with any better solution.

Besides the shoddy fence job, the same tradie had installed the verandah and left one piece of roof missing. Tenant said that the roof flip flap whenever there is wind.

Questions :
    1. What should I do about this sub-standard fence and verandah installations ? Make him come back to consolidate the fence posts and verandah roof ? What should I look out for ?

2. Should I proceed with reporting his substandard and unsafe installations to the consumer affairs and alert others about him ?

Attached Files:

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Is the veranda work legal?
    Does the tradie have an ABN and do you have the invoice?

The Y-man

3. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

The verandah was an extension [3m] from the existing verandah. Tradie said no need permit.
    He has ABN, and yes, invoices were provided too.
    I paid $9900 for the boundary fence plus $2970 for the verandah extension.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

A star picket (the ‘metal thing’) is not a permanent repair.

How long is the boundary fence?

In Victoria, $9,000 is very expensive for a wooden or colourbond fence. Did you get at least 3 quotes?

The damaged panel could probably be claimed on insurance if it’s storm damage.

I would contact consumer.Vic. And also contact Oneflare.

The verandah roof is probably just needing a screw to hold down the sheet. Though it looks like it’s a bit narrow? It appears that the correct screws for polycarbonate sheet were used - they have a wide rubber ‘skirt’.

It is possible that the verandah did need a permit if it was an addition rather than a repair or direct replacement.

Last edited: 16th Dec, 2021
    The Y-man likes this.
  5. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Would never use any so called tradies from websites such as Oneflare etc - it's easy to obtain an ABN. Its more important they have a licence [which you can check] as well as ABN to do the work you want.

I was so surprised when watching 'The Block' this year when Scott Cam advertised and used tradies from a well known labor hire website. I would bet they vetted them closely.

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think websites such as HI Pages (which is like OneFlare) are useful.

Using online portals (and Facebook etc) is part of doing business for many tradies. E.g HI Pages. It’s the replacement for the old classifieds.

About 8 years ago, A friend of mine (qualified and competent) got back into being a bricklaying contractor and running his own business. After a gap of 15 years he hadn’t realised how advertising had changed.

Registering with HI Pages really helped his business. He was getting leads from individuals and from builders subbing work out. A lot of tyre kickers - but also some good jobs.

He’s a Builder now with his own company.

balwoges likes this.
  7. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Not saying they are all incompetent, when I couldn't find anyone to do a small job I resorted to using Hi-Pages and was disappointed with the work, maybe because it was a small job no one wanted ... :)

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I noticed when the contestants pulled the Hi Pages lever, the tradies were all working with and/or under one of the well known builders from the previous year. It was mentioned builders from the previous year couldn't work on the current year (I think), so this was all ready to go I reckon (with a trusted, known builder).

I put up a job on Hi Pages recently and got not even one answer.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Looks like posts set in sand and cement not a proper post excavation (what depth ?) and use of concrete. All looks very dodgy. Your best claim is the work is not merchantable and fit & proper fencing according to manufacturer specs and seek damages. (Check manufacturer website for specs) You may need to determine post depth and what was used to set the posts for your claim. The panel condition is poor - scratched and missing paint ?

The pergola and fence costs if done together may exceed state limit requiring a contract and the issue with exemption from permits is often conditional.. .The proximity to the fence may not be compliant. The pergola is attached to the house ? It needs a license. Is it more of less than 20m2 ?

Landscaping - Vic rules