''Un-Paid Rates''..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 23rd Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. I went to google to take a look and the long house in front is the one I linked to earlier and I'm sure was the block that used to house the Wyndon Green house, though it had a smililar (I'd say smaller) footprint to the Lamb house. Perhaps that owner managed to buy some extra land.

Hubby says his memory is that the Green house sat where the "11" is on this map. The "90" and "1" possibly were part of a public park. But that's the only new house. I do recall reading in the papers at the time that the owners of Lamb House were not happy that their views could be blocked, and that if BCC was going to allow this type of development, they would stop maintaining the house.

Who knows if that is true?

There is plenty available online about all this. I'm not sure the buyer of the $2.88m block actually built that house sitting there now. It does seem to be sitting on two blocks and the "11" block is vacant, which makes me now think hubby is right and that is the block where the Green house once stood.

Losing the Green house was also a bit of stupidity by whoever allowed it to go. It wasn't as grand, but was too good to lose. There is probably something online about who built that new. house, but I've got to head out.

And perhaps that is the block sold off by the council? Perhaps the $2.88m block is still vacant (no "11") on the map.

There are several more stories from 12 years ago available online. Here is just one that I heard about where the developer offered to renovate it.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...isbane-tourism-highlight-20200605-p5500x.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: 27th Dec, 2020
  2. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

I wasn't told any fine detail of which part but that corner block (no1) where the driveway is for the new home was an empty block previous to the build, it looks like the structure oversteps the property in no1 too. Was there houses originally at the bottom left of Wild street ?

lamb house.png

3. wylie

I'm fairly sure the Green house was where the No 1 is shown in that map. I'm guessing the block in front of Lamb House was vacant, or possibly parkland. I don't recall ever seeing a house there, nor at the end of Wild Street.

4. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Is that the Green house on left in this old mining photo, it looks to be the corner block from an angle but possibly in front, closer to the cliff edge more? In 2007 google shows no1 vacant, can't look from the bottom road because it only goes back as far as 2012.

Google Maps
    Greenhouse.jpg
    Greenh.PNG

2013.PNG

5. wylie

That's the one. Much less grand but still was an elegant bungalow style house.

So the Lasrado house would be in front going by this photo and the map you put up earlier, I think.

Antoni0 likes this.
  6. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Maybe we all should raise money using go-fund-me page, buy and fix the place.:D

Antoni0 likes this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

8. willair

9. wylie

Just showed hubby your post @willair and flippantly said we could sell everything and buy this and do it up. He said "we've always said if the right place comes up..."

I was actually joking, but he did give it serious thought. I asked "are you really serious?" and he asked if I would want to do it.

Then I read out that land value in 2019 was $6.1m. I think that answers our question. We've admired this house for nearly 40 years, and have watched as it has deteriorated. Regardless of how upset the owner is, all she had to do was spend some money up keeping it and she would not be in this situation. Heck, even just paying her rates would have seen this continue to deteriorate without anyone really able to step in.

This house needs to be repaired before it is lost forever.

10. willair

wylie --I could never understand how the title holder let this get too this stage ,if they fixed the roof many years ago then the inside would have been saved as some of that wood-work is stunning..

Plus the way the value range is going skyward in that small blue-chip area as it has for the last 40 years,and the cost to bring this property back to what it once was-- above ten mill would still be cheap as it's a priceless location .

Way above my level ,but this will sell hopefully to someone with very deep pockets and long hands..

wylie likes this.
  11. wylie

I did read that they made a conscious decision to let it rot away due to the decision made to allow the new build. Perhaps that was not the truth, but it was the story at the time.