''Un-Paid Rates''..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 23rd Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

There have been stories about this for a while, how they refused to upkeep the property due to the house beside it having been removed or demolished and the new house built.

I'm so glad the council is stepping in and hopefully this beautiful house will be saved from ruin. This should have happened years ago.

Firefly99 likes this.
  3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Ultimately don't mess with the government (Federal, State or Local). They will win in the end because they make the rules.

What many people don't know is that unpaid council rates and other taxes take priority over pretty much everything else, including a mortgage with the bank. This is why banks take rates & ATO defaults very seriously, but they generally don't care so much about telephone bill defaults.

4. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

My friend bought a townhouse which owner didn't pay rates for a few years and still lived there. Not only the council could auction the house, the owner was evicted after the sales was sealed. All other legal and admin costs had to be paid out of the proceeds too. Then you realised how expensive the salaries were. :eek:

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Lawyers aren’t cheap. Neither are debt collectors.

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Of the three generations that have owned this property the last 2 must have done nicely selling off the surroundling land.

Looks like the last generation has spent what was left, and with no other form of "income" has run out of options !

It is a shame that with historic places like these that council can keep increasing the rates year on year to the point the current owners couldn't afford to maintain it let alone pay the rates :(

7. wylie

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Rates are the same amount in the dollar for everyone - but those with valuable property pay more because of that.
    What makes you think that the owner can’t afford the rates?

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I went for a walk past that property today,and when you look at the view from the block it's unique..

10. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

So not to do with affordability by the sounds of things - she just doesn’t want to pay her rates because Council has refused her a permit to build a cafe/conference Centre on part of the site!

She wants the building condemned!

It was left to her and her husband by an aunt - and she moved out 4 years ago after a ceiling collapsed. That would have been the time to do some repairs!

Then squatters moved in.

Last edited: 25th Dec, 2020
  12. Antoni0

There's a bit of a rumoured story to it all I believe, and it seems to make some sense.
    I've added some video of the home's internals below, it has really nice features inside.

Capture1.PNG

Last edited: 25th Dec, 2020
    Codie and Stoffo like this.
  13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Such a shame that such a majestic property has been let get to this state.

14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I agree.

It's too good for.the state of Queensland. They should.move the property to NSW.

15. wylie

I remember the house owned by Wyndon Green (spelling?). It was a single level house, Californian Bungalow in style, but perhaps more a late 1800s build. But it had a lot of bungalow features (we lived in one at the time). We happened upon the bible owned by the young Wyndon in an antique shop out of town (Toowoomba?) about 30 years ago nd bought it with some other books with his name in the front. We also bought a watercolour of his house. We always had a wild plan of buying it one day if we ever had the chance (and the funds). Pie in the sky of course, but one has to have a dream.

Then it was demolished or taken away and this built in its place. At least this is low slung, and doesn't take away any views that were already there from Lamb House. And of course, the controversy over who bought the block and built this house is also well known.

Take a look inside Brisbane’s $18m trophy home at Kangaroo Point - realestate.com.au

I heard a developer offered to totally renovate the house in exchange for some of the land, and that offer was refused. So, the plan was never to save the house it seems.

But it is not too late. Secure the site, get the roof sorted first, then work down. This isn't too far gone. It just needs a lot of money and great care taken to fix it. This would have to be one of the best blocks in the city.

Antoni0 and Stoffo like this.
  16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Yes, it really is.

From the few video's I have seen there isn't any visable damage from vibration/nearby rock breaking as claimed by the owner....

There's far more "damage" occurring just from the holes in the roof !!!!

The state really should step in (buy it at public auction) and restore it to retain a small part of the area's history (new local MP offices maybe :p)

wylie and Antoni0 like this.
  17. Antoni0

I'd heard that the council sold them part of a public park to build the trophy home that Joy Lamb wanted for her development.
    Even though BCC got caught out buying 3 blocks of land at Mt Gravatt with 6mil of bush preservation levy funds (no bush land at all on the blocks BTW) and then sold parts of the blocks off for an undisclosed amount, they claim it's an expression of interest to buy the Lamb house.

It could have been a possibility that the original rock crushing cracked the Lamb house, that whole cliff face is solid rock and vibrations travel. The roof falling in on Joy Lamb's head makes sense as the ceiling in those old homes used to be plastered horse hair and when it gets old it becomes very fragile.

Last edited: 26th Dec, 2020
  18. Antoni0

" Conflict of interest" I meant above sorry.

19. wylie

Who did the council sell part of a public park to?

20. Antoni0

The person that built one of the surrounding houses I’ve been led to believe.