UK House Income- How to limit Tax?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Thomas Meadows, 22nd Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You may have up to 6 years from date of arrival in which its exempt here under the absence rule (assuming you claim no exemption on any property here in that same time). However this is generally based on the UK market value in AUD at the time you commenced to reside here. Its possible for the currency to do one thing and the property value another. Always think of the aussie CGT issue in AUD terms. You can make $0 on the market in UK terms but make a profit duue to exchange rates.

Last edited: 23rd Apr, 2020
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

What about pensions ? I often have ex-UK people who suddenly get letters around age 50+ that advises them they can commence a UK pension (super) and the problem starts back up again. Portability then starts to be explored and can late so early attention helps. A strategy is there to bring it here to a special purpose smsf.

3. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I moved my personal pension across via QROPS (? financial adviser did it) soon after emigrating; I also get a small (ten years service) UK defined benefit pension and now (65+) the UK old age pension and that's my entire financial connection with UK. The last two don't add up to the UK tax threshold so after a couple of nil due tax returns HMRC don't mail me any more. I was keen to remove the UK connection for tax purposes when emigrating, and when we sold the family company (time of doing so not in my control) I was handsomely rewarded for having done so.