UBS Global Real Estate Bubble Index Sept-18 - Sydney better placed

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Rowan, 28th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rowan

Rowan Well-Known Member

Does anyone follow the UBS Global Real Estate Bubble Index?

Link to Report: https://www.ubs.com/global/en/wealt...mktMjAxOC1nbG9iYWwucGRm/grebi-2018-global.pdf

Thought I could share this September 2018 report from UBS to balance the doom and gloom around here.

You might be aware that UBS has been extremely vocal in declaring the bubble risk in Sydney's housing market. In the latest report, they have downgraded that risk and Sydney is no longer is the bubble category.

Some good points I've notice is:
    • Sydney is quite the norm compared to other global cities on most metrics
    • Toronto and Vancouver and rocketed up to bubble territory (I've made another topic speculating on the Sydney and Melb comparison actually but wasn't aware prices have grown that much since there declines)
    • Many other cities are considered more overvalued than Sydney AND are still experience growth in prices. It is comforting that Sydney prices are moderating.
    Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Morgs and Perthguy like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@Rowan aww. Sydney dropped from number 2 :(

3. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Thanks for sharing @Rowan

Must only be the local operating UBS business unit that has a mother of all short positions on Australian real estate (and Sydney in particular). Perhaps the UBS global unit wasn't aware ;)

4. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

They are inconsistent with their reporting so much so that I've unsubscribed from their podcast.

Ive heard it said there are tow types of investment bankers:
    There are those that don't know what they are doing, and those that don't know that they don't know what they are doing..

Perthguy likes this.