UBER - Do you think this is true?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Zak, 6th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

In the case I know of, it is important to know what happened, the guy was not watching, truck and trailer pulled across road, the car did not recognise the trucks trailer, and it took the roof of the car off.

Planes have automation too, but good to have a human there for when the computer does something un expected or nat able to be anticipated.

Cars probably need to be better due to the proximity of objects and people. I would think it is not quite mature enough yet

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

That too!

3. dabbler

Here is some scenarios for you to ponder if you think driver less will be the answer to no more accidents.

In many cities, you have probably seen they have quakes and elevated roads collapse, we have had bridges collapse too.....so your driverless car is motoring along, does not know or seen in front of it that the road has collapsed & one after the other like lemmings off they go till something blocks the path.

Or a light plane comes down on a motorway, a person may see it come a long way off, driverless car wont know it until it is on the ground in front of it.

Or your driverless car is following a car and trailer but in another lane as your about to pass, but it does not notice the trailer is in the state of about to jacknife the tow vehicle and throw the car it is towing off the trailer, a human would have held back and not continued to try and pass.

These are some of the things that may need to be overcome, or maybe they are already covered, but I doubt it. No doubt many more possibilities too.

Wonder if Taku will have his 20th before Uber dumps him :)

4. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I think we have already seen this movie from 1939 - 1945.

Can't say that the outcome is ideal...

5. EconomicAcrobat

EconomicAcrobat Member

The ones that thrive (survive?) will be capable of discovering knowledge or creating new things out of nothing. They will be the last ones capable of work because their work can not be automated.

Artists have the captivity to create original works. Music, Literature, Images, Film. Creating these things from nothing is not trivial and requires a unique kind of intelligence, if we get to the point that a computer can do as well/better then us we are totally redundant as a species....

Propagate likes this.
  6. EconomicAcrobat

EconomicAcrobat Member

Agreed, but how many people also had the chance to thrive? My grandfather worked his way of from floor sweep to chief engineer of a rather large engineering firm through/after that period.

7. EconomicAcrobat

EconomicAcrobat Member

My first and still primary job (14 years’ experience) is algorithm development for control systems (Software Engineering), so I feel I can confidently say that yes all those things will be covered, and then some.

All the cars will be fitted with range sensors that will given anything unexpected stop the vehicle, they won’t just go over the cliff like lemmings (however there are videos of people doing exactly that).

They will easily detect any velocity change of the vehicles in front, far more rapidly then any human can, if not though their ranging sensor then though networked communication and swarming/collision avoidance algorithms.

Apart from all that local stuff they will also be pulling down environmental data from the internet.

They have a lot of requirements to drive safely but they will also have a lot of self-checks in place, if they can’t drive safely they will either not let you start driving or pull over.

Gockie likes this.
  8. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Future is here.
    [​IMG]

"Driver-less bus trials begin in Australia. The 11-seater prototype vehicle has gone into service transporting passengers along the 2.7km promenade in South Perth, travelling at speeds of up to 15.5mph. According to the newspaper The Australian, the fully-electric shuttle bus has 6 Light Detection and Ranging sensors, four 3D imaging cameras and a GPS system that allows it to pinpoint exactly where it is, as well as how far it has traveled based on its starting point. Reference The RAC Intellibus, Royal Automobile Club!!"

9. dabbler

I am sure they must be close to covering all angles, but it won't roll out for us all in the next year or two, it will take longer before it becomes the norm, they also have to satisfy the govt. which may be the more difficult task.

I do think it will need some refining, just like air disasters, there will always be something un predictable or unknown faults, lot more makers too as opposed to commercial airline makers.

10. dabbler

No more waving the bus down when your late, instead you need to jump in front of it :)

Probably will not open the doors though !

I like the 15mph.....

11. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

One might speculate that the collective cost for others to thrive was more expensive than initially speculated.

On the other hand, and in more recent times, generally speaking, there are probably a bunch of 1 Per Centers who have a different definition of the word "thrive" than is more synonymous with the word "normal"....

Oh, and good on your grandfather for having a go, and his subsequent success. More power to him, and there should be more people putting in such an effort.