UBER - Do you think this is true?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Zak, 6th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

@Taku Ekanayake.

Advice for you to consider from this you tube video.

What are you thoughts?

Terry_w likes this.
  2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

as soon as I see "scam" i tend to switch off ..........................

esp when looking at using 54 c per mile real running costs for a vehicle

ta
    rolf

3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Most uber rides I get are people already going in the general direction via their 2x a day destination selection. Ie to/from their work. In that instance its money for jam really as they are already driving to roughly that place. However if you drive anywhere like a taxi and drive like a real job, its well and truly been shown to not be feasible to earn an income from it

cheekykoon and Taku Ekanayake like this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Sounds true, but at least Google is getting rich and taxi drivers are finally paying tax!

willair likes this.
  5. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the 'Gig Economy' like Uber, Deliveroo, and self employed couriers is just a way of being exploited if you are looking at it as a full time job.

I have a casual part time job as a delivery driver that pays significantly more than the $19.00/hour quoted in this article and my employer owns the van and pays the fuel.

DaveyB likes this.
  6. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

Uber provides money for when your bored out of your brain.

As a full time job, it's unfeasible but it can certainly be a way of getting a large majority of people off the dole... right?

7. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing.

uber is different rates in Sydney. what i get:
    minimum fare = $8
    per minute = $0.40
    per km = $1.45
    share = 80% (driver) 20% (uber)

her example says:
    per mile (1.6km) = $0.90
    share = 75% (driver) 25% (uber)

she doesn't factor in per minute charge, and minimum fare charge, and her example is at 75%, and her per mile charge is much lower in this example and also a mile is 600m longer than a KM. also doing it on Fri nights, Sat and Sun it's peak period during this time with higher surcharges - which is when a majority of people with FT jobs are driving with uber. other things such as the ability to work your own hours which she doesn't factor in (which I find to be the most beneficial).

lately i have been averaging over $44/hour (before tax and expenses). granted it's not great money but prefer this as a side job than most other casual gigs.

her numbers are totally skewed from a Australian perspective.

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think there are many fair points in there, it would not be worth going out and buying a car to do this most likely, but if you have one sitting around depreciating anyway and you want some extra money in a very flexible work environment, it has it's pluses.

Probably not, the car needs to be a certain standard, you need to do BAS statements, and centrelink will now send you a bill for getting off your read end and working.

9. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

The whole business is burning capital. But the consumer cost will rise once the other guys (taxis etc) are wiped out.

charttv likes this.
  10. dabbler

Part of the plan you reckon Bran ?

The already have smashed the plate value for taxis in NSW, would not be happy if you had of been holding a few of these expecting the govt to defend the status quo. They folded real quick.

Bran likes this.
  11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Not sure, but with driverless cars seemingly inevitable, I wouldn't touch the company without knowing their master plan for when this happens.

I don't think my children will have, or need, their own cars.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Just on the driverless car thing... on the freeway from Alexandra to Washington DC I did a double take when the driver of a car beside us was one his own, in the driver's seat but playing a flute with both hands. He wasn't steering and we travelled beside him for at least a minute.

Either he was steering with his knees (but didn't look that way - we were in a shuttle and looking down into his car) or had a driverless car?

Are driverless cars on the roads already?

13. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

My Last trip in Brisbane:

8:01 minutes
    3.48 kilometres

Cost $8.29

It took him about 5 minutes to pick me up too, he had probably been waiting a few mins for a job too

So he gets about $6.60 and would spend about 20 minutes on a trip such as this before getting to his next passenger. While paying for the car and the fuel

It's a con

14. weejimmy

weejimmy Well-Known Member

Tesla model S and model X are autopilot.
    You have to be sat in the seat, so it's not totaly driverless. (Well I think it parks on its own and comes to pick you at the door by itself too)
    There are a few high end cars with lane assist. So on a freeway it stops you veering over the lines. Sounds like possibly the case in that situation.

15. weejimmy

Actually now I mention Tesla,
    Im sure in their master plan they say they want to make it so when you park your tesla up at your work. You push a button on an app and off your car goes to be a driverless taxi for the day. It will come back and pick you up ready for finishing wok.

Uber like everything else, is good for some people, but don't expect it to be your solution for ever, things change.

Gockie likes this.
  16. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

You know their steering wheel is on the other side to ours wylie ;)

legallyblonde, charttv and DaveM like this.
  17. Terrychris

Terrychris Well-Known Member

Sydney Taxi plates were selling for average $425k- 450k in 2011,now see them selling for as low as 200k.

18. dabbler

Sydney cab plates were bit cheaper than that AFAIK and are worth very little now, but if you bought years before Uber raised it's head or had multiples, you would not be voting for the current NSW govt :)

19. dabbler

Yeah, driveless will def be with us soon enough & become the norm, I can't wait to buy a van so I can relax in the back as it drives me around to inspect or work on IPs or even just coming home from work, I hope I can make a legal seat belt on a rear bed, or recliner :)

Gockie likes this.
  20. weejimmy

Makes you wonder , will driverless cars mean more people are happy to live further from the city centre and help drive prices of property's in outer suburbs...
    I know I would be far happier sitting in the back of a van for an hour if I ment I could have a bigger house nearer the beach..