Types of annual inspections required

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Moonlight, 2nd Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Moonlight

Moonlight Member

Hi Everyone,

First time landlord here. I've just joined with a PM group, and they have sent through a list of annual inspections they want me to sign off on so they can complete it without my authorisation as it comes up. RCD and Smoke Alarm Check, Gutter Cleaning, Tree Pruning and Termite/Pest Inspection. Do these all sound like they need to be done annually?

Thanks.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Gutter cleaning, tree pruning and pest inspection are things I like to control and arrange.

We have our PM arrange annual smoke alarm check. That's about it.

3. Moonlight

Moonlight Member

Thanks for your response! Do you do these checks annually? Also why do you not get your PM to do it for you?

4. wylie

I've just started having our properties managed, after self-managing for 40+ years. So I'm getting used to having someone do this for me.

We have one property with neighbour trees that drop so much leaf matter our gutters block up. Cleared two years ago when water backed up into the eaves and entered the house through the window architraves and created a slight mould issue.

We cleared them, remediated the mould, and then forgot about it. We've just had the same issue, and same result. This is something we will arrange each year with our plumber going forward.

Our houses are easy to check for termites, being Queenslanders on stumps. But we do get our trusted pest guy in every year or thereabouts.

Perhaps we will hand control of this to the PM, but so far haven't done so.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In Victoria the smoke alarm check has to be done annually - it’s the law. I do this myself.

Gas and electrical safety checks have to be done every two years - it’s the law. And has to be done by qualified people. RCD safety is part of the electrical check. I use the company Epic.

It’s good practice to do an annual termite inspection - but that”s up to you. But remember termite damage isn’t ‘t covered by insurance. Best to catch termites early.

If the gutters get blocked it could just be annoying - or if it’s a box gutter, it could flood the house or garage or whatever is underneath less there’s an overflow. Guess how I know!

Are there trees that would need pruning? Most trees don’t.

The Y-man and Stoffo like this.
  6. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Maybe for the first year understand what is involved for each process instead of having the PM automatically charge you for the job. Eg, which trees are being pruned? are the gutters once or twice a year?

Once you're familiar and know what is involved, then you can maybe hand it to the PM going forward.

Phoenix Pete likes this.
  7. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Could you please tell what are the charges associated with annual smoke alarm checks in Logan? PM advises $129.00 annual charge.

Is this mandatory requirement at every lease renewal even if it’s the same tenant who is continuing at the property?

8. wylie

We pay $69 with Safe Home Services for annual check, which could be more than one check.

9. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

$129 is about normal these days, our contractors are cheap at $99p.a. This is a subscription charge rather than a callout, which means they'll visit as many times as necessary within the year. Extra points if they've done your 2022 compliance upgrade, since they'll deal with any warranty issues for you when the alarms fail (fail rates are crazy on all brands, even the good ones, we get 2-3 a week...!).

It is widely considered "best practice" to have the alarms checked annually or within 30 days prior to lease commencement/renewal by a professional firm.

10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

What sort of IP ?
    House
    Apartment
    Retail
    Commercial

11. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Smoke detector is very common and as Tom says it starts around $99 per year.

I'd let them take care of the rest unless you want to be completely hands off.

12. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

13. wylie

Safe Home Services did that check with our townhouses when they did the inspection of smoke alarms and I assume it will be done again at next annual inspection.

Give them a call and check?

Mcube likes this.
  14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

The check is not manditory at all, it's just manditory that they comply. We don't pay the extra for the corded blind or safety switch inspections.

Mcube likes this.
  15. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

Thank you,Tom.

16. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

Thank you, @wylie. They did have a price list on their website. $129 to do all checks annually.

17. wylie

Interesting. We are not paying that price. Perhaps because we have a few with them? Or perhaps next year it will be higher?

18. Threebythree

Threebythree Active Member

their pricing just jumped to 99 recently. you must of got in early...

19. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

It's your home, if you lived in it, what would you do? Wait for problems or proactively undertake routine checks and/or preventative maintenance? This stuff isn't made up, it's brought to your attention for a reason. Not to be snide, just saying it for what it is.

RCD, Smoke Alarms, Blind Chords - tenancy matters require vigilance and or compliance
    Gutters checked/cleaned, prevents flooding into ceiling which is a much bigger problem
    Tree pruning, causes gutters to get blocked if overhanging the roof
    Termite/pest inspection, do you want termites?