Food & Dining Type 2 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by skater, 19th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'd message @Rolf Latham. I think it's on Thursdays at the RSL.....but not sure.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yep! The first thing I did was hit Google, because I knew that it was incorrect. I was given some kind of fact sheet, sponsored by Sanitarium. Need I say more?

willair likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I did have three tests. One was a VO2 type test at 85% of my max heart rate. I had a test to check my resting metabolism. And a body scan to show my fat and muscle.

Results show my metabolism to be slow. My body fat needs to drop without losing muscle. I am at 25% BMI but my body fat is too high. Just shows BMI isn't a great guide on its own.

We've come up with a light weights regime to start with and I'll continue to try to "move more" through the day.

This test also allowed my dietitian to calculate that the calories I was on are correct for a day when I do some exercise, but on a day with no exercise, I need to lower it again.

So I'm following the new regime and will see how that changes things.

Marg4000, Perthguy and trinity168 like this.
  5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I've been watching both of these people/issues with interest

Gary Fetke (Australia)

'Change your diet or you'll die': Low-carb advice lands doctor in hot water

Tim Noakes (South Africa)

NAUDÉ REVIEW: NO MISTAKES OR MISCHIEF AGAINST NOAKES? FAT CHANCE!

Also these podcasts have been interesting

2Ketodudes

Two middle-aged men
    One in the USA
    One in Australia
    Both overweight
    Both diagnosed with type 2 diabetes
    Both convinced they've been fooled
    Eating fat does not make you fat
    High insulin levels make you fat
    Journey with them
    Learn the facts
    Reverse diabetes
    Live well

Phase2 and Perthguy like this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That's interesting because dieticians are telling us that slow metabolism isn't a thing. I have always been skeptical of that. It seems that some people really do have a slower metabolism.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad I had the test. It gives me a number for my resting metabolism. But if I can build some more muscle, then that resting metabolism will go a little higher.

I'll get a second test in three to six months and see if I can increase muscle, drop fat and increase my metabolism.

The other interesting thing was the difference in weight of muscle in my right leg and right arm.

He is suggesting instead of starting up a flight of stairs with my right leg (pushing off) that I switch to my left. Also, try to do more with my left arm generally. It is normal for right handed people to have extra muscle in their right arms and legs, but I can try to balance it a bit more.

He suggests I lift a weight with my left arm, see if I can get to three sets of ten. I should have trouble with the last set of ten. If I get to 26, then do only 26 with my right arm.

Once I get to 30 comfortably, increase the weight. He suggested I not lift both arms together because I will not know when my weaker left arm is fatigued and will not lift correctly.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Take up a sport... as you will probably know, I'm a volleyballer. If you play half decently it involves some sprinting, squatting, upper body strength, jumping, activation of core (abs), some cardio... and if you play with people you like its completely enjoyable and if you are competitive you bring out the warrior.

While playing you also get time to forget about anything else going on in your life. Just focus on the game.
    :)

9. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I've arrived late into this thread, but great to see the actions you've taken @skater!

I've actually just finished reading Tim Spector's "The Diet Myth - The Real Science Behind What We Eat". He's a professor of genetics at King's College in London. He doesn't so much push any type of diet, but advocates gut-health and explains how/why people might react differently to different types of foods (and non-foods) and why people tend to be yoyo dieters.

skater and Perthguy like this.