Food & Dining Type 2 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by skater, 19th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

The problem with the 5/2 is in the 5 part for me. I have to do it EVERY DAY to move anything, and then I have to also keep my intake below 1000 calories, which isn't too hard as you're only eating two meals a day.

We're going to be away most of February, so I'm anticipating a bit of a catch-up period when I get back.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

So you really aren't doing the 5/2 at all. You are just eating a lower calorie diet. I'm doing that too and what should see me losing weight, just holds me steady. That's why I'm going to book in and do the test to see what my metabolism is doing. I understand it is me on a bike or treadmill with a mask like you see athletes do to see their max oxygen intake. Goodness knows how I'll go. I'm planning on doing this in the next few weeks.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

A few years ago I was eating so poorly (all refined junk) that I made myself sick. I had to switch to much healthier eating of mainly raw vegetables and fruit. I started feeling better nearly straight away and also started steady weight loss that went on for months. But then, still eating the same amount, I plateaued. To kick start weight loss again, I actually had to start eating more. In my case, I was eating a huge volume of food but almost no fat. So, I added fat- olive oil and coconut oil and also full fat coconut milk. I started losing weight again very soon after that. I don't know if it was the extra fat, extra calories or both. Either way, it worked. I am pretty sure if your calories drop too low, you stop losing weight.

4. wylie

Interesting @Perthguy. I'm under the care of a dietitian. Once I've done my text he will look at what is happening. I eat well, hardly any junk, but when I have something like chocolate, I have a tiny bit. Eg, today I had two single squares. I just needed something sweet. So, I'm not feeling deprived at all, and really enjoy good healthy food.

I think the idea of the 5/2 is along the lines of what you are saying. I'll report back once I have had this test.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm eating two meals a day.

6. wylie

That's different to the 5/2 regime but it's working for you. I might give two meals a day a try on days I can cope with it.

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I read soooooo much info on reversing diabetes. Some recommended 5/2, others just skipping the breakfast, etc. I decided it would just be easiest for my own sanity, to just bite the bullet & get used to not eating in the morning.

HeavenlyThang and wylie like this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I tend to skip lunch nowadays as get so busy during the day I don't realise I've missed it until late afternoon - and then might as well just wait for dinner.

I have found the "no sugar at all" thing the vital ingredient - not even sugar substitutes, as medical research has shown that by using an artificial sweetners, the tastes buds gear the body to receive a glucose/sucrose/fructose intake by releasing insulin in anticipation - but when it doesn't arrive the body then craves carbs or sugars to counter the insulin release.

How to Lose Weight #8: Avoid Artificial Sweeteners - Diet Doctor

The idea of the 5/2 or 3/1 etc is for your body to switch into feast/famine mode. This is what the human body was designed for - and only the last 60 years has it not been the eating cycle. Food wasn't available in all forms all year round, and during the end of winter there was often very little available. If there was a cow to kill then you feasted - when the meat was gone you famined (or ate bean soup).

This also explains some of the food allergies that are emerging. We were not meant to eat strawberries whenever we wanted - we were designed to gorge in summer and go without for the other 10 months of the year.

wylie and Perthguy like this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge proponent on artificial sweeteners.....but I have found, for me at least, that they have a purpose. For instance, if I've been bad & overindulged in something sugary, then I crave more. If I then swap to something with artificial sweeteners, I'm still getting that sweetness that I crave, but I find can only have a bit & don't want any more.

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Just an observation.

We went overseas for six weeks last year. Roughly first three weeks was a tour including a 14 day Baltic cruise where I ate everything in sight. Loved the smoked salmon at breakfast!!

Last three weeks we toured independently staying in B&Bs. I ate their huge breakfasts - fruit, toast, egg, bacon, sausage, mushrooms etc., then more toast, coffee, juice. Never hungry during the day so can't remember ever eating at lunchtime. Had early dinner though often not really hungry so never big meals.

When I got home I had lost 3kg - truly amazing as I figured I had reached my goal weight a few months earlier.

All I can put it down to was that I had eaten my biggest meal of the day for breakfast. My activity level was higher, but not dramatically so. And yes, I have put the 3kg back on and have to be careful to stick to my goal weight!!
    Marg

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is also about not having access to snacks from your home fridge or cupboards during the day while traveling?

These sorts of snacks - even healthful ones - add to daily calories in an invisible way that mounts up over time.

12. Bare_Essentials

Bare_Essentials Member

I have type 2 diabetes and follow "Keto" as my way of eating with intermittent fasting. I find it much easier and my HBa1 is 5.0 and continued at that level even through pregnancy.

Redwing likes this.
  13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Did you have the test?

14. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

What is typical keto diet? and, what type of intermittent fasting do you do? Just curious. Hubby is on slow carb diet, with a cheat day each week. I'm curious with intermittent fasting as, I have read somewhere it resets your immune system.

Thanks.

15. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Hi Skater

Missed this post before ( haven't read every reply )

Hb A12 5.2 is in the non diabetic range .

There's obviously been a major change in diet advice in recent years in-particular around the role of carbs / Sugar and Fat .

The first time I was aware of it in the main stream media was from this article in 2002

What if it's all been a big fat lie

There are two authors I recommend people read .

Michael Mosley , The 8 week sugar book as well as the 5/2 diet .

David Ludwig . Always Hungry .

Mosley admits that the issue with 5/2 diet as presented in the original book was that it didn't address the changes that really need to be made on the days of " normal " eating .

They both base their books on the latest research . Difference is that Ludwig has done a lot of the research himself while Mosley is a very good analyst and interpreter of other peoples research . They appear to respect each other with Mosley spending over a page of his latest book talking about Ludwig and Ludwig also makes nice comments about Mosley and when " the 8 week sugar " book came out , Ludwig was one of the experts I saw asked to comment on it .

Mosley is a better communicator but both books are well worth reading as they cover some different aspects and together are a good foundation for understanding what people need to change

The 8 week sugar book is aimed at rapid weight loss to reverse type 2 diabetes while Always hungry is really aiming to provide weight loos with sustainable dietary changes moving forward.

My wife bought me the 8 week sugar book from Christmas and is following that and as lost 3.5 kg in the last three weeks ( didn't start it straight away ) . I'm doing a combination of AH / 8 week sugar recipes with occasional fasting , mainly on weekends .

It is really important to read the diet info o packaged food . One of the AH recipes I like is a smoothie for breakfast which includes whey Powder . We had a new Health food shop open near us and I ducked in one day ( for convenience and to support a new local business ) and bought whey powder there . Wasn't untill a couple of months later I noticed that the whey powder ( which is meant to be mainly protein ) was actually over 70 % SUGAR ....

Cliff

Last edited: 18th Mar, 2017
    willair, trinity168 and Perthguy like this.
  16. Bare_Essentials

Bare_Essentials Member

I do a 16:8 IF so I fast for 16hrs (9:00pm night before to 1:00pm next day) and then eat during that 8hr window. I find it much easier to manage as it takes the stress out of eating breakfast. Keto is low carb where your total amount of carbs should be 20gm or less and your diet should primarily be high fat, medium protein and low in carbs. I find it quite easy to follow as there are so many amazing meals that i can eat.

trinity168 likes this.
  17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm back in the normal range. :D
    It's still not mainstream, and advice I got from Diabetes Australia was the traditional food pyramid.

I've got both of them. Take a look at The Obesity Code as well. It's also based on latest research. There's a lot of analytical stuff in there based on different research that's been done over the years. Someone like you, (doctor) would probably get a lot more out of the understanding of it all more so than a layperson like me. While I understand it....I can't exactly quote it, or really convey the meaning to others in a proper manner.

If you get a chance, see That Sugar Film. There's a showing of it in Parramatta each week & @Rolf Latham can probably give you info on that.

The stuff they pack into some of the food is dreadful. I'm so over reading labels.

willair, Perthguy and WattleIdo like this.
  18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

@Rolf Latham and @skater, do you have info on the film screenings in Parramatta?

19. lost nomad

lost nomad Well-Known Member

@Gockie it's $3.99 to rent on iTunes (SD version)

20. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I thought they'd changed

Had a look at the diabetes Australia " healthy eating GUide " and it's still suggesting low fat milk and yogurt . When ever I've checked brands they always have more sugar ..

Sad

Cliff

willair likes this.