Two Lots - One Title for Garage

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by NoobieProp, 5th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NoobieProp

NoobieProp Active Member

Hi

I'm looking at a place and looked into the strata + contract for sale and noticed that it labelled two lots in the report, one for the actual unit and one for the garage.

Is this normal? My solicitor said it's normal for older builds but just wanted to check if this was normal.

Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes, normal. Other variations include the garage being common property with an exclusive use by-law.

bmc likes this.
  3. NoobieProp

NoobieProp Active Member

Thanks appreciate the prompt response

4. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

Yup, sometimes called accessory units.

depending on the strata, they may or may not come with voting rights too

5. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

the lot numbers will (typically) be all the same

ie: Pt 4 (part lot 4) you could have many part lots depending on the design.

Pt (part) lot areas are shown in brackets

the total area of all lots will be shown on the most significant part of the lot. (ie: main floor sheet)

this is because the part lots are likely separated, for instance - on different floor levels or locations within the strata scheme.

car spaces, garages, store rooms, balconies, multiple floor levels could all be examples of part lots

edit:
    an exception would be a Utility Lot where-as an area like a garage was given a different lot number. this is very rare, and possibly what you have.

Last edited: 5th Oct, 2021
    Scott No Mates likes this.
  6. NoobieProp

NoobieProp Active Member

Yeah i think this is what I have. In the plan it says there are 24 lots but in reality its 12 garages + 12 units, of which the garage has its own separate lot number!

Either way, I got out-bid pre-auction. I had the highest offer at 667k and they were ready to sign but someone came in with a 750k offer apparently today so that's that!