Entertainment & Music TV Teetotalerism

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Rockstar, 9th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Imagine if the cast of Fawlty Towers reunited where all (staff) characters were required to carry ball pein hammers for switching off the smart phones of just such diners.

MTR and WattleIdo like this.
  2. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

This is exactly how I feel. It seems like a good way to relax and wind down at the end of a day, but by the time I turn it off I feel like I've wasted the night.

I try to only use the tv for football, but I still watch crappy sitcoms from time to time.

3. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

I don't watch commercial tv at all, and in over a year of having Netflix I've managed to get through most of House of Cards and all of Breaking Bad. That's it. My partner is glued to it though, from the moment he walks in the door till he falls asleep in front of it. He likes it but I can't help thinking it's a giant waste of time...

4. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

got used to not having telly at home anymore since it was broken.. lol
    most of the shows that I want to watch are online anyway..

5. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Yep - got rid of my 'box' about 13years ago when I moved house, and left the (old 80s style) tv beind for my mate who I used to rent with.
    Was intending on buying a new one, but the 'next model' was coming out in a couple of months so figured I would wait for that, by that stage I had forgotten about it and never bothered to get one.

I find the things annoying now. I hate the noise, the adds even the 'news'. Most of it is brainwashing cr**.
    Nowadays we have a TV (provided with our house). But we dont pay for the service, so its not connected. We download a movie probably 2 times a month and watch that.
    I hate visiting friends places, and they have it on 'in the background'. My sister is one of them. I walk in and turn it off - and then we have an argument.

Once you get rid of it, you dont notice it missing. Fill your evenings doing something more relaxing, productive and enjoyable (reading, paperwork, shagging, talking etc).

Blacky

Rockstar likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I couldn't imagine not having a tv, but never watch adverts, record everything and fast forward through the rubbish. Those who watch online... it is kind of the same... no?

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I was in a household without a TV many years ago.

It's the only time I've ever had anybody knocking on the door asking me to participate in ratings surveys. He couldn't believe that I didn't have a TV.

8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes and no. When I watch online it costs me a fortune so I have to limit it to stuff I'm really interested in. When I have a tv I often show very little discernment and can sit there for hours on end. Am thinking of getting a tv again now though - sbs movies just get better and better.

Last edited: 16th Apr, 2016
  9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We don't watch TV at all except the cooking shows on Thursday night - it's become a family tradition to watch the cooking shows and eat chocolate. We do have Netflix though - much prefer that cos I can't abide adverts.

I find that if I watch screens before bed I can't sleep - I'll be up at 3am working cos my mind doesn't turn off. So generally i try to read in bed rather than watch TV.