Turning recent bought property into investment

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Johncena321, 3rd Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Johncena321

Johncena321 Member

I recently bought a property to live in. I paid stamp duty on it. When can I turn it into a rental property and live somewhere else?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Normally, whenever you want.

Or are you worried about first homebuyer requirements or something like that?

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Johncena321

Johncena321 Member

I wasn’t a first home buyer when I bought it. I remember years ago the rule was that you have to live in a property for 1 year before renting it out. Is that no longer the case? I am also wondering whether the bank will have issues with it since I didn’t get an investment loan.

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Not enough details
    LVR, how long have you had it, do you currently reside there, number of properties, where are you going to go and live......
    Bank will just change the loan to investment, can you afford the increased repayments?

5. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

What State is the property located in? There is usually a residency requirement to retain the duty exemption.

6. Johncena321

Johncena321 Member

I have had it for a month. I live in it. I don’t have other properties. I am going to rent a property out within the same city.

7. Johncena321

Johncena321 Member

I am in Canberra

8. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

You will just need to pay capital gains tax when you sell

9. Johncena321

Johncena321 Member

Does the 6 year rule apply? What if I rent it out for 6 years and live in it after that? I am planning to sell after 10 years..

10. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

11. Johncena321

Johncena321 Member

My LVR on the property is 80%

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If you claimed concessional stamp duty by saying the property was to be owner-occupied, check with the relevant authority how long you have to actually live in it before renting it out without having to pay the increased stamp duty on an IP.

The time can vary depending on where the property is located. Otherwise you can just pay the increased stamp duty and rent it out whenever you want.
    Marg

13. Johncena321

Johncena321 Member

I didn’t apply for any concessions. I used a calculator online and noticed in Canberra the stamp duty on a house is the same whether owner occupied or investment

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It may. You have commenced to reside there - There is no 12 month requirement BUT it may be subject to 3 months as your home before you move out if its a new build. May need to check that. And that the main residence exemption requirements are all met.

15. maybellz

maybellz Member

In Qld you have to live in the property for 12 months in order to qualify for the home transfer duty concession.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia