Turning 3/1/2 into 4/2/3

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Angel, 9th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I'm still thinking about our PPOR and now adding another bedroom and bathroom. Latest thought is to try one of these three ideas:

1 Master suite separate from the main dwelling - with bathroom and WIR - to be built behind the garage/carport. It would be on stumps like a cabin, and have a deck facing the park. There may be difficulties with side boundary setback if I have misunderstood the council requirements. I really do not want a complete granny flat.

2 Master suite as above but joined onto the front of the house. It would be at ground level and would have to blend in with faded 30 year old dark brickwork. It will easily butt into the roofline. I'm envisioning cladding/features to tie it all together. We would have to apply for easing of the front setback. I'm thinking this would be the most expensive way to go.

3 Raise the roof on the garage and turn it into the master bedroom suite. Create a new three-car carport across the front yard immediately inside the boundary. Precedents have been well established in this suburb. The existing garage/carport was built with the best footings in its day so it should be straight forward to level the floor and then raise and infill.

What do think about these additions? Which do you think will be the most economical?

Perthguy likes this.
  2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Sorry, but option 1 does sound dreadful when you have terrible weather. Plus you either have to have keys on you or leave both places unlocked.

Do all options work from a sewer point of view? Are they all uphill from an accessible sewer line?

You might also struggle with option 3, which would likely be the most economical by a long shot, due to ceiling heights, water proofing, etc.
    If it's permissible, I'd go with that one.

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The sewer runs along the back of the property and everything is uphill from there. The entire yard is terraced immediately behind the garage and access would all be undercover.

Attached Files:

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Number 3 seems the most feasible choice. The trick with extensions is to blend them into the existing floor plan as seamlessly as possible to make it look as if the house was designed that way.

#1 would not be part of the house. Unappealing due to weather, security and isolation. A better (resale) choice would be a self contained studio/granny flat.

#2 would struggle with council approval and may look “tacked on”.

#3 may not be the cheapest, but probably best for added value.
    Marg