Turning 1 BR into 2 BR: Cost vs. Return

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Elysium, 26th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Elysium

Elysium Active Member

Thanks for your input everyone. If I understand correctly, this is the permitting process:

1) I submit a proposal to Body Corporate
    2) Body Corporate makes a decision.
    3) If decision is YES, then they forward to Local Council.
    4 If Local Council rejects it, it ends there. If Local Council accepts it, I can go forward with it, and don't have to worry.

Is that right?
    Cheers

2. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

yes..

3. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

Not quite. More like this:

1) I submit a proposal to Body Corporate
    2) Body Corporate makes a decision.
    3) If decision is YES, then they will provide you consent to get approval from Council.
    4) You will need to lodge an application with BCC. This will be either a Change Application (to modify the original DA for the whole development) or a Material Change of Use DA. Given the costs associated with a Change Application (the BCC Fee alone is $6900+), you will probably need to go with the new DA. Once you factor in the costs of plans, town planner, Council Fees, this will cost you at least $5k, probably more.
    5) If Council rejects it, it ends there. If Local Council approves it, I can go forward with building approval which incurs additional costs (BA plans, building certification etc).

Some issues that you may have with Council:
    - Each unit is required to provide a minimum of 12sqm of private open space (balcony) with a minimum dimension of 3m (in BCC). If you are enclosing a balcony, you may no longer meet this requirement. The example you provided will remove the only part of the balcony that is large enough to accommodate a 3m x 3m dimension so I don't think Council would support this.
    - Car parking. A 2 bedroom unit has higher car parking rates than a 1 bedroom unit;

4. Elysium

Elysium Active Member

Thank you for your feedback, apologies I am a bit late to reply to this.

Regarding your point 4, could you clarify a couple points?

4) You will need to lodge an application with BCC (meaning "Brisbane City Council" ?). This will be either a Change Application (to modify the original DA (what does DA stand for?) for the whole development) or a Material Change of Use DA. Given the costs associated with a Change Application (the BCC Fee alone is $6900+), you will probably need to go with the new DA.

You mean that the application to BCC alone costs $6900, regardless of outcome?
    All in all, the document costs (excluding construction costs) would be:

BCC: $6900+
    DA: $5000+

Is that a reasonable document cost estimate?

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF