Turnbull Versus Abbott. its game on.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jim1964, 14th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Such as?

2. Arnoldus

Arnoldus Well-Known Member

Trying to get growth in tax concessions on super under control, currently growing at 12% per annum, and increasing from ~$34billion/yr currently to ~$50billion/yr in 4 years time. Scrapping or limiting tax benefits on salary packaging for cars (~1.8 billon over 4 years when Gillard proposed it), trimming spending in every government department (like Howard achieved, with the exception of defence in the 96 budget), looking at tapering benefits to people on the who receive part age-pension (pensions are/were growing at ~7%pa), and looking at restricting pensions to folks who are sitting on a lot of equity in their PPoRs. Having a good hard look at implementing the private health insurance rebate in a way that genuinely saves the government money on health spending rather than an almost blanket subsidy. These are just a few examples.

Ultimately it's just ones opinion of what the government should and shouldn't do. But I think a reasonable number of folks would concede that the 2014-15 budget picked a very small number of budget measures and tried to cut them when it would have been wiser to spread the burden of finding savings and be seen to be a bit fairer than what Abbott/Hockey were perceived to be.

Bayview likes this.
  3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I don't agree with this part.

For example; my Parents in Law are both in their 70's now, and have been on the pension since retirement. Neither of them is in the best of health.

FIL for many years ran his own printing business, working very hard to try and make a dollar, they raised 5 kids on one income, and never really earned that much or were able to accumulate much savings....retired broke, basically.

MIL is very close to disabled now; walking frame for a some of the time, doesn't drive.

Have lived in the same house for about 45 years, and it is now worth approx $500k and they own it outright. The house is old, tired and needs lots of work. Their whole world is centred around the area where they live...friends etc.

They could downsize to a small 2 x 1 bedder I guess, and free up some equity, but I don't believe anyone should be forced to do that...especially at that sort of age.

4. Bayview

Most folks leaving school are living at home with Mum and Dad. They do not need the dole.

It's all about mindset Andrew.

"Class" and "social division" is a mindset chosen by the victims of the world.

To be poor doesn't mean you are less than the person who has money, or a better postcode - unless you think it; and that's a choice.

To view not having money, or being paid some money for nothing - as a class distinction is a victim mindset.

The Country is full of that already, and the last thing we need is a handwringing, Civ LIb attitude to encourage it.

Yes; help folks who are in genuine need, such as kids who have to leave home due to domestic violence, etc (not just because they had an argument with Mum or Dad about cleaning their room or time spent on XBox) but a kid who leaves school at Year 10, or end of Year 12, living at home in a relatively normal family environment?

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2015
  5. Bayview

The vast majority of kids nearing school leaving age don't need to move out of home....some do it by choice, and that's fine.

The ones with a scintilla of brain matter will already have a job lined up, and possibly a bit of savings in place as well.

If your choice is to move out of home and start to incur expenses you cannot afford to pay; you need to get a job...preferably a "good paying job" so you can afford to save for a house. ;):p

Why should anyone fund that choice other than yourself?

If you later lose that job and have commitments; that's a bit different.

6. Arnoldus

Arnoldus Well-Known Member

Yeah i'll admit it'd be controversial and have social consequences. I've often wondered whether it would be feasible to develop a system where the government could tap the equity in someones PPoR by either developing their own system or creating a more regulated form of reverse mortgage to fund retirements for people who have high amounts of equity in their PPoR.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

hahahah - one of my husbands distant rele's stole two chickens and got 7 years ... another stole a silk hanky ... it's how they met in Australia

8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yeah one of my relos stole a sheep or two apparently. Then became a sheep farmer a decade later. Skip a few generations and another one was Harry Power who took Ned Kelly on as an apprentice bushranger. A fairly unattractive type from what I've read.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder ... apparently one of my greatx4 uncles was an instigator in the Eureka Stockade saga ... rabble rousing must be in the blood :D

10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Now TA says he's going to let us know by the end of the year if he continues in politics or quits. Lying ******* - he told us when he got knifed that he would serve the full term.

If I ever have to go near a pollie I keep my wallet close.

11. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Honestly, does it even matter? Who gives a **** if he lies, continues in politics or quits. None of them are going to make a difference in your life.

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps he can go back to his profession?

He would put the hood back into priesthood.

13. Ed Barton

Not at all. Let's have a parliament full of lying cheating scabs. Perhaps you could run with a promise of 'Champagne for everyone'.

14. Ed Barton

I thought Robin hood stole from the rich and gave to the poor?

15. geoffw

No, we're talking about the other one who tied to copy him in reverse. Robbing Hood

16. geoffw

So Ms Bishop is in New York. Is the Bishop going to have an audience with the Pope?

17. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

18. geoffw

19. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

He's shrewd, for sure.

20. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If anyone can play the bluff game then Mr-Palmer would know a trick or 2,i have watched this Man speak several times and your not dealing with someone who just jumped off the bus from nimbin,just a bump in the road..