Tsunami has hit? Syd and Melb -1.1%

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by willister, 1st Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

You need to look at the average over the whole market. This sort of asset falls least in a downturn. Apartments, city fringe, new development areas as what's vulnerable.

2. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

don't forget holiday locations on that list..

3. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Of course looking at the averages is the overall mkt but as mentioned u are taking a macro approach why bother with apartments if they are not even in ur strategy or for e.g doveton which went down or high end luxury mkt which fell 100-200k after going up 400k in the last year. This is not asx200 indexes but it is an indicator of overall mkt there are markets within markets.

i was purely highlight one of the many examples which does not reflect a macroeconomic view.

For Apartments- it has been stagnant and on a downturn for many years for otp. I recall in the 2005-06 around there it even fell 25-30% in Southbank.

highlighter likes this.
  4. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Is it just me or digging a trench looks more dangerous that of an overpass (built on the Cranbourne line)?

All infrastructure improvements have solidly improved housing values, but many of which were before the boom. Interesting to see how much Clayton prices would move by once that level crossing is gone?

Back on topic, I've heard all this doom and gloom before but what I've noticed this time around:

* A lot more government intervention (e.g. taxed banks/difficult for foreign investors). Prior to this, the gov policies actually fuelled the fire, e.g. FHOG etc.
    * Economy looks like stalling
    * Prices way higher than what they were to the extent the entire Melbourne looks overpriced.

5. melbournian

it might go into doncaster territory as in the leap from 800-1mil to 1.3-1.5 mil (who knows). It has all the ingredients that will do the same as a doncaster (close to glen Waverley similar to balwyn), to attract mainland commie Chinese buyers, Monash University (main campus). Food strip (with Asian eateries hotpots, bubble tea etc) to attract Asian communities and plots of land designed for subdivisions.

6. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Cashed up people aren't concerned about Sydney at this stage as they're cashed up because they sold in Sydney and are buying elsewhere ....

Cliff

Perthguy and Brady like this.
  7. willister

Yes and no...personally I think Clayton may have run its course (pardon the pun), will probably bit 1.1mil average. It looks really ugly, next to a large tip and not green. GW is somehwere in between, greener and more "Eastern suburbs" looking but not exactly nice either. Doncaster is nicest of the three but no station lol.

8. melbournian

you are probably right - but after seeing HW going from 400K to 800K (that's crazy) and some parts look like the "project" in the US.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. willister

Fresh off the press, Clayton - the next Box Hill?

Clayton, the home of Melbourne's next mini-city

HW is 12kms from the CBD man, thats almost inner suburbs!

10. melbournian

yeah not surprised

one my friends actually sold this site in clayton (without as much raising a finger to do a dev)

99-121 Carinish Road, Clayton, Vic 3168 - SOLD Land/Development Property #501975514 - realcommercial.com.au
    99-121 Carinish Road, Clayton (Commercial)

unfortunately not commie Chinese money

11. willister

I really do wonder how many apartment carcasses will be in Melbourne once Chinese/Asian student numbers drop? Is the population really growing that big to sustain these apts? Looks great when new, but man, look at some Asian cities and their apartments after 10 years, old and haggard.

If you reckon HW was astronomic, so was Clayton. In 2014(?) a cousin paid nearly 700K on Alice Street Clayton, easily 1.1mil today.

12. melbournian

Depends on the timescale I suppose. if you go bundoora (I notice the apartments there are well maintained) also with Latrobe, rmit etc.. SE Asian apartments are bad unless you go Singapore etc some of the upper ends ones are good.

HW is very impressive as it was lower end 2015-2017 (400kish to 800kish) and like ex-housing comm area with lots of crim. Clayton, u expect it as it had monash, mainland Asian influence, so not surprised similar to a doncatser move etc you expect. HW is close to CBD but still (some parts are bad) - footscray didn't really move till like recently as well. last 2-3 years.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. willister

When my cousin purchased it had already moved in 2013/2014....

HW is just missing a station. HH is a safer bet.

The underbelly as I like to refer to it is still there in most dangerous suburbs, just that prices have rocketed up (families, no choice)...

14. melbournian

I was watching clayton, maidstone in 2014 (thought it was high) back then and didn't make a move

to be honest, if you see this 4 mil+ in 5 years without really doing much at all just shuffling papers

upload_2017-6-5_15-50-21.png

15. willister

Next to a station, if the station was rail under road, would have been mandatory Gov acquisition....
    Now that its Rail Over Road, your mate has hit the jackpot. Luckily Clayton is also wide enough to accommodate elevated rail, if this was in Carnegie where its a very narrow stretch, it would also be government acquisition!

Clayton is ugly no doubt about it, some pockets near that circle the Clayton Hotel is also pretty dangerous, especially heading North on Haughton Road. What I would see Clayton sky rocket even further:

- Level Crossing is fully removed.
    - From above, Town Centre is tarted up and land beneath the Railway crossing can be community/business based.
    - John Monash becoming fully public (not selective like Macrobs/Melb High) and zoned.

16. AlexV_Sydney

AlexV_Sydney Well-Known Member

-1.1% for Sydney / May 17?

CoreLogic: -2.0% for Sydney over last 60 days.

17. melbournian

The suburb Bundorra is already starting to make the leap (from 900-1m) to jumping to 1.4mil - universities plays a big attraction though monash is better than rmit and Latrobe.

Modest Bundoora house attracts 12 bidders, sells for ’unbelievable’ $1.405 million - realestate.com.au

upload_2017-6-7_11-41-47.png

18. willister

All I can say is HOLY ****? 1.4mil? What is even more surprising is that in this case it's actually I assume a non-Chinese/Asian couple dumping in this much moving from Kinglake...

Bundoora, Watsonia prices have been on drugs! When I looked at Bundoora earlier in the year, I saw this one and wanted to buy it....but the fact that it was really sloping discouraged me from making a serious bid.

14 May Street, Bundoora, Vic 3083 - Property Details

I once looked at the NE suburbs and by far Bundoora was the cheapest on average, possibly closely followed by Kingsbury.

Current Uni Rankings (Aust Only):

1 University of Melbourne
    5 Monash University
    14 Deakin University
    15 RMIT University
    21 Swinburne University of Technology
    22 La Trobe University
    30 Victoria University

I don't understand though, La Trobe has never really been "big" in Asia. I don't think there is a presence there. There is a campus in Malaysia for Monash. Vietnam has a RMIT campus, Swinburne is wildly popular amongst Vietnamese students.

Any nice auction pics you can show us over the weekend?

Last edited: 7th Jun, 2017
  19. melbournian

you could have made 400-600Kish without doing anything :)

well lots of commie Chinese as one poster likes to call them in bundoora

upload_2017-6-7_14-45-40.png

nothing like out of this world just the standard auctions

upload_2017-6-7_14-41-50.png

upload_2017-6-7_14-42-16.png

upload_2017-6-7_14-43-48.png

20. willister

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia