TS and PIP Landlord insurance doesn't cover pandemics

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by RogerP, 9th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Okay, so investigating the PDS for Terri Scheer (https://www.terrischeer.com.au/wp-c...t-Disclosure-Statement-and-Policy-Wording.pdf) and PIP (https://www.pi-plus.com.au/mydocuments/PIP_Landlords_PDS_AssetInsure_16DEC2020.pdf)

Terri scheer has the following clause under 'We do not cover' (p81)

Any loss, damage, claim, cost, expense, legal liability or other sum, directly or indirectly arising out of, or attributable to, a Communicable Disease or the fear or threat (whether actual or perceived) of a Communicable Disease.

PIP has the following clause under "Loss of rent and tenant default" and things they don't pay for (p30)

Loss of rent where there is a widespread outbreak of any strain of influenza, virus or any other disease declared as quarantinable by the relevant government authority

Am I right to basically assume that they don't cover for rent defaults during a pandemic? Am I reading this correctly? Is anyone else worried that these policies are basically useless then since u know, we're right in the middle of a pandemic?

2. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Thanks @Dan Wood, unfortunately I had a chat with EBM recently and I can only take out coverage for properties that we manage.

Dan Wood likes this.
  4. JoannaK

JoannaK Well-Known Member

Yes, you're correct. Since Covid hit our shores all the landlord insurance providers re-worked their policies and now loss of rent due to any type of pandemic is specifically excluded in their cover.

Landlord insurance policies still offer a lot of value, and a policy still should be taken out - they're not just for the loss of rent cover.

5. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

That's a shame. I would rather they increase the premiums than do this.