Trying to decide whether I need to replace my roof

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by aelix, 14th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aelix

aelix Member

Hi all

I bought a 1974 house in Melbourne (Dandenong Ranges) about a year ago. It has a flat (maybe 3-5 degree) metal clip-lock roof, not colorbond, which looks very weathered and old to my untrained eye. There is significant superficial rust; the previous owner cleaned and painted some sections with what looks to be a thick sealant paint within the last couple of years. He also put on a few small patches which were presumably due to rusting through or leaks. Structurally there is some bowing from one edge to the other and this means water pools on some parts of the roof when it rains.

I haven't identified any leaks or segments that are rusted through when I've been wandering around on the roof, but it looks pretty close to end-of-life to me. There are some weird joins on the roof due to house architecture where it looks like seams are rusting, and the places where water pool are getting especially rusty.

Obviously the roof will need replacing at some point, but I'm interested in views on whether I should just pull the trigger now on full colorbond replacement ($21k is the best quote I've got, reputable company with excellent customer reviews). The alternative is to eke out 1-5 (?) more years before replacing by cleaning off rust, painting with sealant myself, maybe some patching of seams that look bad to me.

Essentially I'm weighing up ''if it ain't broke, don't fix it'' against ''do it now for peace of mind and to avoid costs associated with leaks when they occur''. I note that it may already be leaking to a minor degree and this might just be getting soaked up by insulation blanket.

On the financials: I have the money in my offset account and interest rates are low (3.3x% for me) so assuming inflation of 1.5-2% the alternate ROI for that $21k is not massive (I'm not contemplating investing my offset holdings elsewhere at the moment).

Many thanks

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Maybe some photos might help?

The Y-man

3. aelix

aelix Member

Sure, I'll take some later today and post them.

FWIW, one of the guys I had out here doing a quote said if it was his roof he would have replaced it a while ago due to the structure issues (bowing). Obviously he's trying to sell me a new roof, but he seemed fairly pragmatic and honest.

4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

How long do you plan on keeping the property?

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

if you have a damaged/faulty roof that clearly needs replacing, your insurance probably won’t cover you if a storm causes leaks.

Get a few experts on to give an opinion, but from what you say it seems overdue for replacement. sounds as if the previous owner just tarted it up to sell.

6. aelix

aelix Member

It's the family home, have 3 young kids and expect to be here for at least 15 years and probably more.

7. aelix

aelix Member

Yeah, the previous owner was pretty upfront about the fact the roof was getting old and would need replacing at some point. I'm just evaluating whether I pull the trigger now or try to stretch its life out a bit further.

Good point about the insurance, hadn't thought of that.

Stoffo likes this.
  8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If the Plumber can already see the deflections in the roof line then the internal truss below those the bowing sections will already have water--damage ,and all it takes is a few water damaged trusses to move then the roof is way by the use by date..Total replacement would be the only way other wise the internal section will cost a lot more then a 15k roof..imho which depending on the Accountant you employ may be tax wise a lot better of imho....

9. aelix

aelix Member

Thanks @willair, not sure I can do much on the tax front given it's not an investment property but I expect you're right about the structural issues. One of the plumbers checked it with a laser level, but even to the naked eye the bowing is evident.

10. willair

By the sounds of the skillion roof it would be a one day job and maybe less then 15k ,the internal trusses may need to be reset ..But once you put a laser on the angles that would tell you with the patch-up work the roof need to be replaced,and a new roof sets a property off..good luck..

11. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Some people might wait (if the roof is not leaking) for some kind of insured storm event to occur.

VB King likes this.
  12. willair

Do you think when the insurance company comes out after a large storm and looks at all the repair work on a rusty 50 year old plus roof what would be the final outcome and payment..

Marg4000 likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@aelix - you've got 45 years out of the roof and the previous owner had already effected repairs.

Sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and replace the roof, roof structure and possibly the ceiling.

Do you have any intention to bulldoze the building?

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Don’t expect insurance to pay for a new roof if the existing roof is defective. you may get a rude shock.

A condition of any building insurance policy is that the building is maintained adequately.

Read carefully what you agree to and/or sign on the proposal or renewal.

Propertunity likes this.
  15. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

If I was going to live in it for the next 15 years with my family..I'd do it. It literally is the roof over your heads.

While I was at it, I'd see if it was possible to extend some of the roof to make a patio as well....

willair and Stoffo like this.
  16. aelix

aelix Member

Thanks all, tend to agree with the majority view that since this is the family home and I'll be staying quite a while, better to just get it done and not have to worry about it again.

17. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Some things make you wonder o_O

My neighbors built 35 years ago.
    Last month there was some wind, and their 35yo skylight semi detached and fractured (smashed).
    Insurance claim was made, temporary tarps and sand bags installed, with a new skylight fitted within weeks, all via insurance :rolleyes:
    Seriously :confused:
    It is like @datto having his 1982 VH Holden Executive wagon stolen and torched, only to be paid out full original purchase price plus inflation equalling a $47,000 windfall :D

Ok, not your situation but, as per @willair
    Replace the roof, if it leaks and stuffs your plaster and insurance rejects your claim = :oops::(

willair and datto like this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

It was a sedan.

Torched is a harsh word. It was cooked medium rare.

Propertunity and Stoffo like this.
  19. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

[​IMG]