Trust vesting on death and excepted income

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by doubleslumber, 7th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. doubleslumber

doubleslumber Member

One downside of holding assets in a discretionary trust is they aren't part of your estate when you die and so can't end up in a testamentary trust with the associated tax benefits (excepted income - so children beneficiaries can be taxed at adult rates).

But an accountant mentioned to me that you could have a clause in the trust to automatically vest to your estate on your death, and then it can end up in a testamentary trust. Terry_w wrote about something similar:
    I asked another accountant about this. He discussed briefly with a lawyer and they think that if the trust vests into your estate on death, it would likely be considered unrelated to the estate, and so any income from those assets would not be excepted. It is different to life insurance or a super fund because the deceased is the only beneficiary in those cases - but for a discretionary trust the deceased doesn't have as much of an entitlement before death.

Who is right? Or is this a grey area?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

about 4 years ago they tightened up s102AG.

I think there is a possibility it will be ok if it is an automatic vesting - not if the trustee uses discretionary powers.
    Something you need legal advice on and consider whether to apply for a private ruling.

If you get it wrong it would bring forward CGT for not much benefit.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Can also be cgt triggers and duty issues. Is the beneficiary absolutely entitled prior to death?