Trust startup loan

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by CTSB, 11th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. CTSB

CTSB Well-Known Member

I'm sure Terry probably has a tip regarding this, but I thought it quicker to test the forum for a quick answer.

Does anybody have a generic loan template for the initial capital loan from a trustee to the trust for a discretionary investment trust startup and initial investment.

Any pitfalls I should be aware of for the initial deposit of funds into the trust?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What does this mean?

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You would need to seek legal advice and get documents drafted to reflect the terms

Paul@PAS likes this.
  4. Curious2019

Curious2019 Well-Known Member

You could use a set amount as the initial capital or “settled sum” I think the term is when the trust is established. No need for a loan schedule then. But as Terry said, your trust deed would need to set these terms out. Get someone who knows what they are doing, trust deeds are easy to get wrong.

Are you talking about an individual lending to a trust? Is that individual the trustee or the beneficiary? What are the terms of your loan to the trust? Is it interest bearing? When is it repayable? Few things you might need to consider.

Not so many issues with initial deposit of funds, just pay it into trust bank account. But lots of things to consider when you want to withdraw funds. Div 7a can also apply to related party loans.

Just my 2c. :)

CTSB likes this.
  5. Terry_w

I have a legal tip on this topic. Called funding a trust or similar

CTSB and Curious2019 like this.
  6. CTSB

CTSB Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thanks.

1. Yes, individual lending to the trust.
    2. Yes, that individual is the trustee and also a beneficiary.
    3. Non-interest bearing loan, long term loan.
    4. No repayment specifically, purely to function as a way of recouping the initial capital startup and all capital inputs from future trust distributions as tax free.

Thanks Terry, will have a read.

7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

op, why have you chosen to use an individual trustee?

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Legal advice would also be needed concerning a statute barred loan and the measures you need to effect. This may limit or prevent a human trustee too. If this trust is acquiring property it may already have indicators of being a poor setup. Could a hybrid disc trust be an alternative ?

One issue a lawyer should certainly advise on is the asset protection limits that this loan may create. ie If A lends to Trustee then A still has an asset available in bankruptcy.

Curious2019 likes this.
  9. Terry_w

A trust is not an entity so cannot borrow. A person cannot lend to themselves either. You need to consider where the money being lent is coming from and also consider the limitations act.
    Get legal advice

Curious2019 and Paul@PAS like this.