Trump to address the US

Discussion in 'Politics' started by willair, 9th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Just remember this, the shutdown is about money to build the wall, not the wall itself (which will be ineffective and an ecological mess). The US government is in shutdown because Trump couldn't keep HIS promise that Mexico would pay for the wall.

wylie likes this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Latest statistics show that an average of 646 people died gun related deaths each week

America's gun culture in 10 charts

I was trying to find out a break up of drug deaths into categories of illicit, prescription, US manufactured, imported, source of importing ... but so difficult to "weed" from the CDC website. It does appear prescription drugs are becoming the main culprit:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/11/02/dea-drug-deaths-opioids-heroin-fentanyl/1857591002/

3. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

hahahaha - pretty sure Jim doesn't approve any wall (not wasting precious and limited rural peak data watching a doctored video).

No wall is secure

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That clip is marked "hilarious....". You say Acosta endorses the wall. It is just Jim reporting on how there is no "national emergency" there at that portion of wall, that it is tranquil. Funny idea of what is funny, let alone "hilarious". :rolleyes:

Lizzie likes this.
  6. wylie

I've asked a reasonable question of those who are pro-Trump.

*crickets*

7. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Jim Acosta was actually showing where there was no wall (and no problems)... because the steel slats ended and turned into a low chain link fence at the end of his video... but the video you posted cut this part out. Team trump has been busy spreading this doctored video, just like they did with the one where his microphone was grabbed.

The wall is an ineffective vanity project and would do absolutely nothing to stop the flow of drugs, illegal immigration or imaginary terrorists.

Lizzie and wylie like this.
  8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

When you look at all the countries that have built walls all down through history ,maybe starting with the wall in China and Genghis Khan ,who said the wall is only as good as those who defend it..
    All these people working without pay will they vote MrTrump for another term,i think most will and he would already know that..

MTR likes this.
  9. wylie

I'd be surprised if anyone not being paid who isn't a rusted on Trump voter would vote for him again.

Lizzie likes this.
  10. willair

I do..

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Trump has already said that most of those not getting paid are Democrats. If that's true, then they are unlikely to vote Trump. If that's not true, then he's telling fibs.

Personally, I would have thought that there would be more Democrat supporters than Republicans, being employees rather than business people, and probably with a higher education level (there's a negative correlation of education to Trump support).

12. willair

It's no easy task surviving a financial crisis ,and I do pity those who still turn up each morning night without any update on the banking account..
    That's the only problem with MrTrump being a business person from day one they bypass all the legalities .

13. willair

I have never looked at it from that angle with education and why they vote the way they vote ,but as we will find nothing concentrates the mind like a financial crisis ,and if they don't get this sorted --which they will then or you will have slipes on the dow above 2000 range ..

14. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

look at the question........ its like a novel
    Nobody wants to get caught up in the minutia of you and your friends .

All that Trump hating rhetoric makes normal people like Trump more .

You're Welcome .

Chrystee and MTR like this.
  15. wylie

Not a novel. Just a few short sentences and a few links for those who might like to read.

The question is simple. Maybe re-read the last two sentences and give us your thoughts.

geoffw likes this.
  16. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

That may well be the case. But remember one household's expenditure is anothers income. Many people other than the employees will be effected. And if we assume that landlords and retailers tend to be to the right, they will also take a hit.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

I wouldn't say I admire Trump and I haven't listened to enough of his recent rhetoric to know whether he is saying the threat is ramping up (vs being an existing problem he wants to address), but of course he says things to pander to his base (sometimes those things will be misleading or blow things out of proportion) ... all politicians do. This is not the exclusive domain of Trump. Is this something you think past Presidents haven't done?

18. geoffw

My response was in response to Trump saying that most of those affected were Democrats, and to @willair suggesting that all those working without pay would support Trump.

But yes, there will be flow on effects. Retail will take less of a hit than the employees directly affected. Employees of those retailers may be affected, but less so again.

Landlords perhaps tend to be more used to irregular payments.

The very rich will not be affected at all.

In the end, it won't influence anything. People who support Trump will still support Trump.

Polls appear to be showing that support for Trump hasn't changed much, and that support for the wall is a few percentage points lower than support from Trump.

LibGS likes this.
  19. geoffw

We're talking about Trump. And what he is doing now seems a much bigger scale than what has been done previously. It's now the biggest shutdown im US history.

Is it ramping up? Well, he could have had his wall when he had both houses behind him. The fact that he couldn't do it then suggests that perhaps it either wasn't as much of a problem, or that he lacked the ability to push it through.

By shutting down now, he's able to blame Democrats, whereas before, it would have been Republicans responsible.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Before this goes off track again - in it's usual fact/fiction flinging manner - none of us know who will vote for whom and it is irrelevant to the topic at hand as whether people are Trump supporters or not. I don't even know who I'm going to vote for in the next election.

The facts are there is no emergency and that actual numbers of incoming illegal immigrants have declined - The majority of illegal immigrants come in legally and overstay their visas - It's been proven that the majority of drugs that come through are smuggled via legitimate ports - The government shutdown has nothing to do with building a wall, other than as a form of blackmail - A wall has been proven over and again (and even accepted by Fox) as being ineffective and a waste of money - Trump's own security staff are not being paid, so wonder what would happen if they all decided to call in sick on the same day

The US government is not a squabble between Rep's and Dem's - it is a power grab between the government Executive (trying to gain full control and form a Dictatorship) - and the balance/check/measure Legislative and Judicial (trying to prevent the power grab).

The majority of Rep's and Dem's (and civilians) do not want a wall - and do not want a government shutdown. There is only one person forcing both. He is not democratic

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2019
    wylie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.