Trump to address the US

Discussion in 'Politics' started by willair, 9th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

2. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

wylie likes this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It would go back to December 15th ,1791 and the first amendment of the US Constitution Freedom Of Speech Bill of Rights, they could refuse but as most rumors are only good when they are denied when dealing with anything MR--TRUMP talks about as most that will listen are unaware of the true subject of the argument..

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

There has been discussion about having a delay so lies can be pointed out. I doubt this will happen because networks who delay will likely think they will lose viewers to those that don't delay.

But I've also read that many networks will give Democrats right of reply.

Unfortunately, his followers will believe anything he says, whether it is proven to be lies or not.

And some evangelicals (I've read) believe he is part of the end of the world. And they are looking forward to it. Many believe they will be the ones left standing. (This is just from a US newspaper so I'm not sure how many "end of the world is nigh" people really are thinking this way. Plenty of "preppers" are preparing though, and have been for years.)

What a mess.

5. wylie

I have been listening to Sarah Sanders saying they caught out 4000 people at the southern border. Even Fox called her on this outright lie. She didn't back down.

I met a highly educated US chap recently, and we touched on Trump. We didn't go too far as he said he doesn't like the man, but likes his policies. That is fine. We left it at that.

But interestingly, he said of the number of people who come over the border, and get a court date a very low number actually turn up for that date. I'd have loved to ask where he got that information, but wasn't prepared to make the evening uncomfortable.

But I've heard from many and various sources that about 65% to 70% do turn up for their court date.

I've heard this from people who have no reason to lie, people in that department. They should know.

So hearing a highly educated man from the US who believes the numbers are different to what comes from the actual department who looks after these things made me realise fighting to get the truth out there is pointless. Trump supporters will listen to what they wish to hear. But they are not hearing facts.

Of course, I listen to those stations that support my view, but surely a fact is a fact. What are Trump supporters listening to? Even Fox is starting to call him out at times.

Majority of undocumented immigrants show up for court

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Actually, her claim was that 4000 people on the terrorist watchlist were caught on the southern border.

Only 6 Migrants — Not Sanders' Claim Of 4,000 — On Terror Watchlist Were Detained On Southern Border: Report

Fox News' Chris Wallace Shreds Sarah Huckabee Sanders Over Border Terror Claims

There were actually 41 - but 35 of those were US citizens or legal residents. Many more were caught coming from the northern border.

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2019
    wylie likes this.
  7. geoffw

Trump's justifications for the wall include:

1. Prevent terrorism. However, most terrorists come in by other means. Most come by air.
    2. Violence. But immigrants, including illegal immigrants, are less likely to commit crimes than permanent residents. But the apparent problem is being magnified - every time a serious crime is committed by an illegal immigrant, it's being reported.
    3. Control drugs. But most drugs are coming in by means which even the biggest wall could not stop. They come hidden in trucks, by air, by sea, by tunnel.

They would be far more effective in controlling the drug problem rather than the supply. As long as there is a demand, people will find a way. There was an opioid emergency declared last year - a step in the right direction - but we've heard nothing since.

Perhaps some of the wall money could be instead put towards cutting deaths by other preventible causes
    The top 10 leading causes of death in the United States
    1. Heart disease (with smoking and alcohol being contributors)
    2. Cancer - lung cancer being the main type
    3. Respiratory disease - smoking and pollution being big contributors
    4. Accidents

wylie likes this.
  8. wylie

Thanks Geoff. I didn't think to look for a source for this.

Lies, lies and more lies. Yet they seem to get away with it.

The same people who were conned by the Russian FB posts, arranging pro-Trump and anti-Trump protests in the same city to cause confusion and stir trouble will be conned by listening to pro-Trump TV and not think to look for a source.

geoffw likes this.
  9. geoffw

He's given the address.

Trump demands U.S. border wall, sidesteps declaring emergency | Reuters

Trump stops short of declaring national emergency over US-Mexico border wall

Nothing new - he stopped short of declaring and emergency. He did, of course, demonise the immigrants who had committed crimes. As I've said, immigrants, including illegal immigrants, are less likely to commit crimes than permanent residents.

And he referred to the humanitarian crisis. Saying nothing about the crisis caused by the government shutdown, making things far worse for asylum seekers.

Schumer and Pelosi were given right of reply.

10. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

Trump is forced to mansplain the wall to a clueless journalist

11. geoffw

From dictionary.com - mansplain
    (of a man) to comment on or explain something to a woman in a condescending, overconfident, and often inaccurate or oversimplified manner

Which says a lot more about the person answering than the person asking.

He says he never wanted a concrete wall. That's false. He talks about a fence, or a wall, whatever. But he's been quite clear previously that he wanted a wall, not a fence.

The question was fair.

A part of Trump's response also addressed the reporter's question about Mexico paying for the wall. Trump's answer, saying that economic benefits flowing from a new trade agreement will mean that Mexico will be paying for it, did not answer the question. First, even if there are benefits, it doesn't mean that Mexico is paying. Second, the revised trade deal has not yet been ratified. Third, there's not a lot of difference from the old deal. The name is the biggest difference.

I think the US is losing far more from the trade war with China than it will gain from the USMCA deal.

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2019
    wylie likes this.
  12. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

Which is why I said he was " forced to mansplain "

But I do agree with you , it is so refreshing to see a politician , fight to keep his electoral promise's .

13. wylie

His electoral promise about the wall was a ploy (as it has been admitted just recently) to keep him from rambling on about other topics. It was something to help him focus. Good grief!

14. geoffw

That's not what I said. Please don't put words into my mouth.

wylie and Ambit like this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

So, Trump met this morning with the Dem's Pelosi and Schumer - who agree with every border security requirement to strengthen the border (plus some extra humanitarian options), but not the wall ... so Trump had a dummy spit and stormed out.

Perhaps he needs to read a book I've heard about - called "Art of the Deal".

The Dem's need to explain this very clearly and concisely to the public - that it is Trump holding the Federal workers hostage (a position which has nothing to do with the wall) - that they are prepared to install the required border improvements - that a wall will not work as most drugs come in via air or US citizen vehicles

A Special Forces soldier is being investigated for smuggling millions of dollars of drugs — and it may be part of a much bigger scheme
    DEA agent in Chicago charged with conspiring to traffic guns and drugs with international gang

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Jan, 2019
  16. wylie

Lizzie likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

18. geoffw

Kassy likes this.
  19. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

He should build the wall already. It will stop the criminals...cartels...junkies from crossing over and commiting crimes on innocent hard working Americans.

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Jan, 2019
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I will assume you're being sarcastic (perhaps use of emojis might help) as the actual statistical facts prove otherwise

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Jan, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.