Triplex in perth

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by megh, 30th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. megh

megh Member

Hi
    May i know the approx costs of building a triplex villa 3*2 in perth and good builders doing this.
    I am looking to build one in melville.

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Size/sqm per villa

3. megh

megh Member

Its a 900 sqm block R40 . we want to build 3 villas

4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

In this current market and assuming you're talking building a spec appropriate for Melville's constantly increasing buyer budget, I reckon you're looking at 225-250k turnkey per villa, up to 275k if you go overboard and depending on if you're doing build strata vs survey strata, earthworks requirements etc

5. sanj

I get that it's a pretty wide range but it's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question

6. sanj

Actually, I've been getting some prices on a luxury architect designed home in mt pleasant (think minimal double glazed window and door frames up to 3m high, natural stone tiling throughout, hydronic underfloor heating etc) and prices have moved significantly in the past 6 months for maybe add an extra 5-10% to the above as a buffer. I did account for current market conditions in my initial post but perhaps someone else building upper middle class market highish spec villas at the moment can chime in with current turnkey build prices

@MTR @Westminster thoughts?

Ross Forrester, MTR and Westminster like this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Considering the size of the block at 900sqm I will have to assume these will be larger than the type of villa you'd put on a 728sqm triplex block and though it might be a R30 block which won't allow as much as R40 block. With 300sqm per block you can probably build a 3 x 2 with theatre (2 living areas) or even a 4 x 2.

So I'll go a little higher than @sanj but still in his range and say around $260-280k. With a lot of asterixes - my pricing is assuming fairly flat land with a good specification level and fully turnkey. Absolutely ensure that you have 10% contingency in your construction budget.

Note I am assuming that by using the word villa that it is a single storey house.

Piston_Broke, MTR, megh and 1 other person like this.
  8. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right.
    I would highly recommend Jubilee Homes.
    Joe is awesome. Very approachable, efficient and fairly priced.

Piston_Broke likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thinking same due to size of block, larger villas

Melville is very nice area, want good specs

megh likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks, I have never heard of this builder

11. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

No worries MTR.
    Recommended to us by the BA we used (Property Wizards).
    Glad that they did!

MTR likes this.
  12. Dann

Dann Active Member

Hi guys just hoping to tack onto this thread and ask what entry level triplexes would be costing at the moment? The sort of spec you see in Nollamara etc, assuming single storey, flat block, minimal earthworks etc. Is $200k per house achievable given the current increases in building costs?

13. sanj

I'd usually be inclined to say yes but I know that there have been additional steel and timber price increases as of October that were literally announced to builders just this week, so the tough thing at the moment is builders having to guess and budget for additional price rises that no one ultimately knows the extent of.

Just today I saw a site in City beach that is likely to see a $4.5m minimum end value that has stalled for 3 months from when the slab was poured as averna haven't been able to get brickies to site yet. This is for a luxury build and by a reputable luxury builder who would be able to pay their brickies more than the vast majority out there.

I mention the above as an indication of just how hard it must be for entry level product builders, like villas in Nollamara, to be actually putting up homes and that can only mean higher prices.

I'd try to allow at least 220k and possibly more because at times like this im more inclined to pay a bit more for a more sustainable builder making enough money from their work to not need to take on an unsustainable amount of projects. Unfortunately those builders will likely cost you up to 10% more.

There are some supervisors out there handling 25-30 builds at a time, which is madness and impossible to do to any decent standard.

I'd recommend trying to find a builder who might build something atypical - maybe entirely framed, maybe another system, whatever. But your basic concrete slab and double brick entry level build at the moment is a real luck of the draw type endeavour at the moment.

As you Go up a bit in build cost abd end value of product it improves slightly and is a bit less hairy at the moment but still a more involved and complicated process than usual

14. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

Hi Folks, I have a similar question, I just signed a contract on a property south of Perth sitting on a 900sqm block. Its sold to me as R12.5/40 with quad development potential subject to council approval. To maximise land value I would be keen to build them as two storey Town houses/Villas. How much extra would a two storey Town house cost compared to the prices for Villas mentioned above?

15. Westminster

It's likely to be more in my opinion BUT it depends on what you want to include in that figure - do you want to include landscaping, floor coverings, window treatments, headworks
    Nollamara/Entry level spec level is getting higher and higher each year. It would now include stone benchtops to all bathrooms and laundries, more than one split system air con
    If it was a 728sqm standard Nollamara block with minimal site costs (ie no sewer on site and no piling) then at I'd probably put $650k for a turnkey solution in the budget with a 10% contingency

Dann likes this.
  16. Westminster

Firstly - do you know what you need to do to meet the split coding density bonus?
    Secondly - are you aware that if you build 4 that you are likely to have to pay Public Open Space levy?
    Thirdly - why do you think double storey will maximise the land value? If a single storey will fit then why go to the extra expense (and longer time) for a double storey unless its double storey is very popular in the area and the market demands it

900sqm is generally* enough to go 4 x single storey if you don't have to go double storey to meet the R40 requirements. Providing the block is a regular shape and there isn't a sewer line impacting on design and coverage.

In terms of cost double storey is quite a bit more expensive and often doesn't have much gain. Depends on the construction method but you're generally looking at around 30% more

SouthBoy likes this.
  17. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

@Westminster , thanks for your valuable input. Nope I am still researching on how I can develop this block. The neighbours block of similar size has had 3 x villas put in. However there are other single storey and double storey houses in the neighbourhood. I own a townhouse in Sydney which has a small foot print, with a kitchen/living area/garage in ground floor and three bedrooms and a balcony upstairs. I thought a double storey dwelling, most of the time will double the internal living space...

18. Westminster

Currently the design codes will allow you to build four quite a nice single storey 3 x 2 x 2 on such a block - note that I don't know the additional requirements for the R40 density bonus.
    However next year they are looking to change and will require more landscaping areas and larger private open space areas and if so then a lot more people will need to go double storey to meet those conditions

The only reason I would go double storey on a 200sqm plus sized block
    - I want to have more than 4 bedrooms and/or 2 living areas
    - council requires it
    - easements on the block impact on the footprint I can have
    - the shape of the block impacts on the footprint I can have
    - the area demographic and end values desires it
    - AND it's feasible

SouthBoy likes this.
  19. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

From what I see the final land content/unit will be $200k ish. Put a $200k "poverty pack" house on it. Will you sell it for $500k? That's a lot for Nollamara

20. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

That formula usually works. Nollamara is the problem as theres just too much stock and 10 year old 'pov packs' are the same as new ones and there selling for mid - high 3s

If the location is important id be looking for retain and subdivide (even if its just 2) or wait till market goes up and end Vals reach 500k