Sports & Fitness Triple Guinness World Record attempt - My Race Report

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 158, 29th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Thought I would share my cover letter to GWR for my recent record breaking attempt. I submitted my application today for all 3 records. I should hear back by Christmas. The records are 'Most Kilometres Cycled on a Mountain bike in 12hrs / 24hrs / 48hrs.'

Description of the record attempt itself:

• (Start) 0 to 12hrs:

As part of the 48hr attempt, I set out also break the 12hr record. Because of this, I knew I would have to start this attempt out quite hard. I had set up the gearing on my bike and knowing my cadence to pursue the 12hr record, and then have the ability to back off for the 24/48hr records respectably.

I specifically chose to start my 48hr attempt at 8pm on Friday night, so the first 12hrs were in relatively cool conditions through the night, and with low (although present) wind. This proved to be a good strategy.

In the first 12hrs I pushed relatively hard to ensure a sub 1 minute lap time for the duration to break the existing (and known pending) records. I only stopped briefly at the 2hr:20min and 9hr:9min mark to have nature break at the adjacent toilet block.

The first 12hrs was relatively uneventful. I passed the current 12hr record at 10hrs:06min and the pending record at 10hrs:56min – so had 1+ hour to accumulate more kilometres for the 12hr record.

I completed 746 laps of the cycle track just under the 12hr mark to set the new 12hr record distance as 307.685 km.

• 12hrs to 24hrs:

As part of the 48hr attempt, I set out also break the 24hr record. Having beaten the 12hr mark quite convincingly, I set about going for the 24hr record.

The morning had broken, however I did not get to see sunlight. An overcast and dreary day looked set in, and the wind had picked up from its gentle breeze to a quite stiff wind. It had already started spitting y this stage and I was required to put on my light rain jacket. This jacket would yo-yo on and off me during the day as when it stopped raining it does become hot.

At the 13hr:22min I had a short stop. For the duration from this time until mid-afternoon, I battled some showers and some gusty winds. I was wanting to change clothing, but every time I felt the time was right, another shower ensued. I wanted to make sure before a kit change, it was going to stay dry.

I had some Garmin issues (my own cycle computer, not anything to do with the official timekeeping equipment), and required to charge it several times during the day, as I wanted to have a continuous recording of the event. This happened between the 16hr and 18hr mark.

At 18hr:28min mark, I broke the existing 24hr record, with some 5.5hrs left to ride. At the 21hr:19min mark I broke the known (pending) record, so set about accumulating as many kilometres as I could to make a new solid 24hr record. I celebrated with a Hawaiian pizza (my favourite  ).

I had a quick toilet stop at the 22hr:22min mark as I wanted to put in quite an effort to get to the 24hr mark. I set about increasing my pace to again go sub 1 minute pace per lap.

At the 24hr mark I completed 1399 laps, totalling 577.787 km – This has been recorded as the new distance world record mark in my 24hr submission.

• 24hrs to 36hrs

Just after setting the new 24hr record, I needed to get off the bike for a decent break. I took a 46 minute stop which included a nature break and a well-deserved power nap.

With the 12hr and the 24hr records in the bag, I set about going for the 48hr record.

It now was night again, and the crowd of people had left mostly. I knew the second night would be the toughest of the challenge and it certainly didn’t disappoint. My lap times were coming increasingly longer; around the 1min:15sec pace – which was inevitable.

I took a short nature break at 27hrs:46min. At the 28hrs:12min mark, I decided that I required a power nap. I could feel the tiredness getting the better of me, and as a conservative measure, and in the interest on my quest to break all 3 records – I stopped for 31 minutes and had a bit of a sleep.

After I got up and going again, I was still fatigued, but was soldiering on at this stage. I knew, once daylight came, I would be able to perk up and continue to go for the last 12hrs in the daylight. I took a short nature break at the 30hr:46min mark. At the 31hr:34min mark I had a short stop with the Independent Witnesses at that time (Aram and Jarrod – and Kellie, who was assigned to look after me during the night). We had a little visitor (a grasshopper) who we named ‘Roo’. I guess all things seem small and strange in the middle of the night – but ‘Roo’ continued to be our mascot through the night.

At the 35hr:11min mark, I broke the current 48hr mark of 746km. I was pretty stoked at this stage as we only had a short time until the pending record off 811km, and I knew I could have a decent break again.

The morning was reasonably clear. I knew we were in for a hot day later, knowing the weather well in my area.

• 36hrs to 48hrs (Finish):

At the 38hr:07min mark I broke the (known pending) record of 811km. I had just under 10hrs left in my attempt to accumulate as many kilometres to make a new 48hr mark. I celebrated this occasion with a nice cool yogurt, a change of clothes, and a nice little powernap. I was back on the bike again at the 39hr:33min mark.

Now, the attempt got interesting. I had battled wind, gusty wind, drizzle, and occasional rain prior to now. Now, the sun was out in full force, and the track was nice and hot, with the wind hot also. I am good in the heat usually, and I continued to accumulate handy kilometres.

At the 43hr:48min mark, I hit 900km. I was quite impressed with myself here. I stopped for 23min at this point. I had Samboy Tomato chips (another favourite), jam donut, and some coke. I’m a bit of a junk food junkie.

There was talk of 1000km being possible. I kept playing down that I was not risking burnout to get to 1000km, and wherever I ended up, was what I was going to be happy with. At the 46hr mark, I was at 942km. I was then treated with a KFC Zinger burger by my friends. Then, a friend of mine told me the wind was dropping off and 1000km was possible if, IF I was willing. I accepted the challenge of my mate and asked him to calculate required lap times, and I wanted feedback every lap on my progress. 2 hours to go, was a very long time to go, but the carrot was there – and so was the crowd gathering.

I can honestly say, the last 2 hours of this record attempt have been the toughest 2hrs I have ever experienced on a bike, and in life. I was required to lap at a pace slightly above the pace done to achieve the 12hr record. I called for my only nutrition to be gels, and coke. I was in the zone.

Each lap, I was given feedback as to where I was in relation to the 1000km mark (as in + or – pace). Once I started to accumulate some time up my sleeve, I knew I could get there. The first hour was about accumulating time up my sleeve, and the second hour was about holding on. With about 30 minutes to go, I had made the lap count parity to get to the 1000km. At the other side of the track, I was talking to myself saying ‘do the 1%er things right so I can get through this’ and ‘don’t muck this up’. As I went past the crowd, they were always cheering. Really got me going as well.

With 8 minutes to go, I achieved the unimaginable – 1000km. I was ecstatic, and so was the crowd. I rolled a lap as I was reeling in pain, and perhaps a tear. I was told I had over 7min to go, so get cracking on a few more laps. I ended up completing 2432.25 laps of the track for a measurement of 1004.541 km.

When I finished, I embraced my wife Elizabeth and my daughter Kona. Very special moment indeed. I was helped to a seat to have all the crowd congratulate me around me, and get some photos. People were amazing throughout my whole attempt, and I thanked as many people as I could by name.

At this point, we quickly set about getting home, as my body was quite sore and fatigued.

Thanks for reading.

pinkboy

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

158 likes this.
  3. Catalyst

Catalyst Well-Known Member

Wow!!! That's an incredible achievement @pinkboy

Congratulations!

158 likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Awesome feat. Congrats.

The Y-man

158 likes this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Wow! What an achievement!
    Love the snack choices to keep you going

The grass hopper is seen as good luck
    "Grasshoppers can only jump forward....not backward, or sideways. So, when grasshopper shows up he could be reaffirming to you that you are taking the right steps to move forward in your current situation. Or it could be that he is telling you to go ahead and move forward, getting past what is hindering you. This is why grasshopper is the symbol of good luck all over the world. Grasshopper's ability to connect and understand sound vibrations is why he is also a symbol of your inner voice. he could be telling you to trust yours". - See more at: http://www.lightforcenetwork.com/forum/6/what-spiritual-meaning-grasshopper#.dpuf

158 likes this.
  6. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Well done. What is next? 48 hours backwards :)

158 likes this.
  7. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Outstanding mate, what a feat of endurance, strength, stamina, mind-over-matter etc etc. To push your body like that shows just what the machine that is "us" is capable of when the mind is opened enough to realize and embrace the potential of what the body can do, and at the same time ignore the body's signals to stop! Hope they sign off on the record, it's well deserved for that effort.

What's next? A triple Everesting attempt on BMX?

8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Wow.

What was allowed under the definition of mountain bike?

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Hey PB, Strava doesn't tell the story anywhere near as good as you.

What a ride.

158 likes this.
  10. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Congrats on breaking the 12hr record.
    Congrats on breaking the 24hr record.
    Congrats on breaking the 48hr record.
    :D

Perthguy and 158 like this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for such an exciting read. I was willing you on ;).

Did you ever try to break into the professional road racing scene when you were younger. A family friend was sponsored by a local company here in Brisbane (they paid his travel I think and some equipment) and he headed to Europe with another rider to see if he could break into a team but he didn't make it in. The competition is fierce.

Well done on the record. I'm guessing the poor chap with the pending record won't be happy with you :D.

158 likes this.
  12. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Congratulations and thanks for posting - suspense to the end.

I'm sure your family is very proud.

158 likes this.
  13. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

That is amazing. Well done.

158 likes this.
  14. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

You're a machine mate, well done!

158 likes this.
  15. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I'm going to put you on my ignore list pinkboy.
    Oh... Better I'm going to report you to Sims because you make me feel totally hopeless and inadequate.

Seriously.. Congratulations. I'm glad to know a person like yourself.

158 likes this.
  16. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Incredible example of what a human can achieve.

Nothing that comes up in life will be even a slight challenge when compared to this. Well done!

158 likes this.
  17. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Amazing effort @pinkboy
    I have done support for solo 24hr mtb races, and the mental effort to persist is epic. I couldn't imagine doing 48hrs on an even shorter track!

How was your recovery? Any medical treatment required?

Cheers,
    Inertia

158 likes this.
  18. LMD

LMD Well-Known Member

Inspirational pinkboy, Congratulations Mr Guiness World Record holder.

158 likes this.
  19. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I have my eye on a few for sure. Some further road ones most likely, including the 24 and 48hr ascent records to go with my 12hr one.

Also some unicycle ones are plausible as well.

The main one though, one I have available help at any time, is 'The Lap' - 14,000km around Australia. I think it's achievable in the next year or so. We shall see!

pinkboy

20. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Bike had to be 'commercially available' - so basically factory built and picked off the shelf.

I rode a Giant XTC 29er.

pinkboy

Perthguy likes this.