Trim trees

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Sheldrick, 3rd Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sheldrick

Sheldrick Well-Known Member

My investment house is on a 1000m2 block in Queensland.

My property manager has advised that the tenant has requested the trees to be trimmed as they are being overgrown. When I asked whether this is a usual request from tenants and whose responsibility it falls under, I was advised that this is a usual request from tenants and shrubs/bushes that are higher than 1.3 metres are the responsibility of the owner to cut back and maintain.

I'm a bit concerned that this would be a costly venture (for example, lead to pruning of all bushes higher than 1.3 metres which would basically all plants at the house) and not sure if this information is correct.

What would you suggest?

I was thinking of asking for photos of the trees that the tenant wants trimmed and a quote first.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

1.3m? where did this come from? Generally, if the work requires a ladder, then an insured gardening contractor should be engaged.

Of course two quotes should be called for you to review and approve.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

I had the same query when a property manager hit me up to have some branches trimmed at a car port.

If I was renting I would just trim it myself but apparently as it requires a ladder I need a contractor to complete the work.

4. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

5. Sheldrick

Sheldrick Well-Known Member

I didn't put this in my original post, but the property manager also had mentioned that trimming trees prevent gutters becoming full and getting them cleaned out or potentially replaced.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  6. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

That's a semi-legit reason then

wylie likes this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I’d trim trees at a house if it helped me, suited me - not because the tenants wants trees trimmed.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Time for a property inspection :p

At least the tenants are being proactive, and so should you be (as the owner) ;)

Maybe the tree's are causing an issue and need a tidy up, or maybe the tenant is tired of cleaning up the mess :oops:

Mostly tenants are lazy (in my experience) :confused:
    Notice to tenants, it is almost impossible for a gardener to come in after 2 years of neglect and make things "perfect" the day before you move out o_O (or for $100 !)

Kathryn_QLD likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Photos or a better description would help.

We've a new tenant we've not met (put in by an agent while we were overseas) who sent me a clip of water coming in during last week's rain. It seemed likely to me that the gutters and/or downpipes were blocked and I sent it to our plumber, who went there the following day and cleaned the gutters of leaves. Cost me $110. Last time he had to go to the same house (a few years ago) there was a tennis ball blocking the gutters, as well as plenty of leaves.

This house is on a small lot in suburbia and there are no trees on our block, but the house next door has a rainforest of trees in the back yard. I have no control of over that, and those leaves are clogging our gutters.

I'll probably ask our plumber to clear the gutters once a year going forward, maybe twice a year.

But I also would not ever expect any tenant to trim trees.

10. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Gutter guard after trimming....

11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Can I get your Plumbers name please!

It sounds like your Property Manager has just been lazy about explaining the task, even after you've specifically requested clarification. The trees could be growing over the gutters, into the house, into/over the fence, across the driveway, blocking sunlight to the lawn, etc. There's a whole bunch of different reasons you might decide to trim the trees, but you're not going to do it for the sake of it- so they need to provide you with a reason.

I also think it's not an unreasonable request at all to ask for photos (or check your most recent couple of routine inspections).

On a side note, 1.3m seems a bit low. I've always operated under the expectation that tenants can maintain anything within reach, which can be up to about 2m. There's no solid ruling on the subject.