Tricky situation with IP - clever input needed!

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Posnow, 5th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Posnow

Posnow Member

I have an unusual and difficult situation. I have an IP interstate, managed by PM local to the property, which is effectively under siege! The last tenants were weeks behind in their rent and when finally ordered to leave they said they had already moved out but had left a female and her 3 kids there (people who were not known to us). This family and some other unknown adults were all removed by the bailiff and locks changed etc. Since then, this group of people (apparently drug users) which also includes a neighbour have come back several times to smash up the property - doors, walls, windows, gates, left all taps running, etc. So, the place is now boarded up (I hope - the insurance company have been terrible in their communication/own record keeping/follow up etc and hence dragging their feet despite acknowledging that they will pay and this includes rent default) and will be repaired as soon as the insurance company re-assesses it as of the most recent break-in/malicious damage. My question really is this ..... once repaired, how can I unboard it for potential new tenants to view without the offending neighbour inviting all her pals around again for another smash-up party? (or same question if I decide to sell instead). The PM say they don't have any ideas, the police can't do anything without any evidence of who is doing it (and I doubt any security cameras would stay and be left functioning) and the insurance company don't seem to know if they are Arthur or Martha (sounds like all the calls are being handled overseas) so they are not providing any helpful advice either. Any and all advice or ideas much appreciated! I'm at a loss :(

2. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

You poor thing - what a terrible situation. Friend of mine had a similar situation with a property he owned in Frankston North - he ended up selling it. Investing in lower socio-economic areas has the downside of being more difficult to find good tenants. In my experience property managers are fairly useless. They take your money when things are going smooth but when the **** hits the fan they do nothing.

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Alarm system, sensor lights, cloud based hidden wireless cameras, stickers on windows, inform the other adjoining neighbors, ask them to call u if the alarm goes off, sure they won't want it keeping them awake all night

Posnow and Tanya1335 like this.
  4. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

In this situation you know what I would do? I'd pay for a boys weekend up there. Rock up have my own party and show my presence with a bunch of my boys with the heaviest tattoos and the loudest ones I have. Maybe some Harleys as well.

Then I'd stay there for 2 weeks or as long as I can until it gets all fixed with a baseball bat right next to me at all times. Sometimes you gotta take actions into your own hands.

Which area is this?

Dan Donoghue and Gypsyblood like this.
  5. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear Posnow,
    could I suggest you tell your insurer that you will be making a formal complaint to the Insurance Ombudsman?

Cheers

Tanya1335 likes this.
  6. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

This makes me so angry! How dare people do that to someone!

^^ this is what I would suggest too! I would also borrow /buy the most ferocious looking dog and let it lose on the premise.. I've heard geese are vicious too!

Brickbybrick likes this.
  7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Whilst holding Eugene, your favourite Jerry Can, have a calm discussion with the neighbour about how increased stress might cause a severe relapse in your pyromania condition...

Posnow and mikey7 like this.
  8. oojpp

oojpp Member

Maybe hiring some guard dogs might help, so long as the property is fully fenced

Luke T likes this.
  9. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

It's very tricky situation as the property manager is not the police. They are there to manage the tenancy and aspects of it, not to provide a solution to, and defend against, criminal matters when things escalate to these levels. It actually sounds like the PM has done their job in having the tenants evicted.

You can buy security cameras that live stream and save content so even if they're smashed, they'll still record and store data. I would be speaking to the neighbours, inform them of the situation and ask them to assist in providing evidence. Once new tenants are in there, it will likely subside as it would then fall under home invasion and the old tenants would/should have no beef with the new tenants.

Without wanting to sound crass, if insurance pays up then these sorts of clouds can have a silver lining. You will get a renovation for the cost of your excess.

10. Posnow

Posnow Member

Hi Seaford,
    I did already do this - just to get them to move the claim along as they were doing absolutely nothing. But I was thinking that I should put in writing to them that I need their advice on mitigating risk of reoccurrence and then if they don't respond or it happens again I can go to the ombudsman...?
    Pos

11. Posnow

Posnow Member

Hi Electronic,
    Ooooh I so wish I had a bunch of boys! Life would be so different. But there's just me :( and I'm female.
    The location is Port Adelaide. I'm from Vic, so maybe I'm just ignorant, but I didn't think that area was really a low socio-economic area. ?? Maybe some SAustralians can enlighten me?
    Your idea may be along the lines of what I need to do though - have a presence there while I get it relet or sold. Is there such a place that hires out people who do that - I mean it's one thing to house sit but this really would need to be a group from "rent-a-bikey" just in case. Probably the druggies wouldn't come near once they see there are people home though.
    Pos

12. Posnow

Posnow Member

They smashed the gate in - so possibly would do the same again. :(