Trenching vs filling/retaining

Discussion in 'Development' started by beachgurl, 10th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

After receiving a few rejections from neighbours to run a stormwater pipe through their yards, I'm turning to other options to subdivide the block and obtaining a lawful point of discharge.

Has anyone done trenching (digging to the mains pit on the street) or filled their site and retained to gain stormwater access through the front of the block? What sort of costs did you hit? I'm trying to work out rough feasos but have no idea what numbers to factor in. For filling, there needs to be at least 2000m of soil at one point, with multiple retaining walls.

For those in the know, should I be factoring 25K, 50K or even 100K?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you can get away with a direct discharge into the street pit, go for it. You will still need to build your retention pit etc but also be up for additional works breaking into (or replacing) the existing pit in the street. It is easier to go down than up.

Consider running your stormwater under your building (tied to bottom of slab possibly) or within a false wall to achieve the required falls rather than building up the site.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

depends how complex the pits and pipes are along with site access plus depths of pipes
    "2000m"... is that cubes or mm??

4. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@beachgurl

Do you have contour Survey?

That would help to answer your question.

I have been thru this..it was jounry to hell and back... Happy to help, if it works out for you.

I have champion Strom water engineer that works for council and may be able to provide expert opinion.

5. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Bob I think it's cubes.

Be, no survey yet. Will be done in the next few weeks.

6. Gavin Ng

Gavin Ng Well-Known Member

I'm assuming the site falls away from the street dramatically? How badly do you want/need to run the easement through your neighbours? Simply "objecting" to a stormwater easement is not good enough. I can't recall how many court cases where the court has ruled in favour of the developer for the creation of easements. Yes it delays your project but sometimes there's just no other option.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.