Trees

Discussion in 'Development' started by erorxxx, 5th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. erorxxx

erorxxx Well-Known Member

Planning to subdivide my current PPOR but I have 2 small trees on the each corner( do you know what kind of tree is this?) and one huge oak tree one at the back .

my property located in Victoria and has significant landscape overlay so my question is it possible to cut these 3 down if the tree is healthy ?

Thank you,
    Error

Attached Files:

380 likes this.
  2. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Check with council to see if they can be cut. The two trees in each corner look like Conifers.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

As long as you cut them down before any da is lodged and they aren't shown on any plans.make them disappear! And check tuft neighbours won't dob you in :D

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Roundup.

5. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Pencil pines I'd say.

Need to have a discussion with council (without giving site details).

Definitely more chance before the development application.

The pines are very close to the boundary - which may help in getting ride of them, but might also mean they don't impact the development.

6. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

They don't look like natives/significant trees. I'd chop them, grind out the stumps and pretend they were never there.

Probably would avoid even discussing your motivation for removing them with your neighbours, if they object to your plans they could try to use them as a roadblock.

Biz likes this.
  7. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I had the Council Arborist checking out a gum tree on the verge at the front of my house. He approved for it to stay. I asked him about the conifer alongside the shed, he said, "Take it out. You don't need Council permission for that." He said it is only Australian Native trees that have to be approved for removal. This was Banyule Council

8. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Good general rule, but not absolute, I know for example in Brisbane cc there are a list of significant trees (not necessarily natives) that need approval to be removed once over a certain size, e.g. Figs. Jacarandas, poincianas...

9. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

If you don't have to cut them down they may actually add value to the property make it seem more established properties without mature trees and never as nice as properties with some mature trees

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In
    In many Victorian councils it depends on the diameter of the tree.

MTR and 380 like this.
  11. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Best thing to do is get arborist report.(cost around $500-$900)

Council would want a report before approving removal of tree.

If you proposing to keep the tree or let's say if development can be worked around retaining tree. Designer will need to respect TPZ and RPZ.(Tree protection zone and root protection zone)

MTR likes this.
  12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Don't start with an expensive arbourist report. The Council arbourist check is usually included in the tree removal application fee. And that is much cheaper!

However, for trees under a certain width you can usually remove them without a permit - just call Council to clarify the dimensions.

13. bob shovel

Yeah don't spend money on a report just yet. All depends on council policy plus the joker on the day.
    Usually council inspects and makes the call. Arborist if your trying to fight it or need back up

14. erorxxx

erorxxx Well-Known Member

Great thank you very much for the inputs , its really helpfull ! Ideally I want to keep the oak tree as it so beautifull and might add value as whitecat mention but I am going to contact the town planner to see which tree I have to chop if want to develop at the back . Anyone knows good townplanner around marroondah ?

15. bob shovel

Moranbah?

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

17. bob shovel

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Are you serious, this is how you get council offside and achieve very little other than hefty fines and no approvals ever
    You always get an arborist report especially if you are developing, otherwise you are going in blind, it's not a guessing game, it's technical, dependent on rating/significance of the trees and zoning. Poisoning good luck with that one

Last edited: 6th May, 2016
    wylie likes this.
  19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Completely agree.

Also, urban Councils take quarterly aerial photos of every property in their municipality. Every year. That's how they can check if you extended a pergola, or removed significant trees ....

MTR likes this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree not ideal or my first choice at all...but in the past....lets just say I weighed up the pros and cons heavily on 2 certain deals... and well.. I leave the rest to your imagination. :)