Tree Stump Removal

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Darcy Tan, 13th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Darcy Tan

Darcy Tan Member

Plant to poison to get rid of some yucca stumps using diesel. Have anyone tried this before and how did it work out for you? I am putting some plants around that stump at the same time so not sure if it would have any impact them.

Is the commercial stump killer any better than diesel? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

:eek:
    Don't do it ;)
    Diesel will remain residual in the soil and taint the soil for years :(

Cut off up high and pour on some weed killer, a few weeks later you might be able to grab the remaning stump and yank it out if its small.

If it's a large stump then dig around it and cut it off low, then using a chainsaw cut the center out to make a hole (and paint with weedkiller), let it all dry out for a few weeks and fill with dirt and water every few days to accelerate the rotting down of the stump, after a few months you can probably just plant another plant in the same spot :cool:

Darcy Tan and wylie like this.
  3. Darcy Tan

Darcy Tan Member

4. Zizi

Zizi Well-Known Member

Often, you need to have patience when you are maintaining or replanting an established garden. If you have only planted the hedge plants in the last couple of weeks, you could very carefully dig them out and put them back in their pots and take care of them whilst waiting for the yucca plant to die. Get it out, and dig over and then replant the hedging plants. I have done this sort of thing many times with great success. Cheers Zizi

Darcy Tan and Stoffo like this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

If you cut the top off and paint the cut area with weed killer the hedge will not be affected, and the yucca should die off.
    Or PM me, I will be passing your area later this week ;)

Darcy Tan likes this.