Tree Roots - Planning development

Discussion in 'Development' started by dev_melb08, 28th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dev_melb08

dev_melb08 Well-Known Member

I guess trees and their roots are long standing problem for developers. I have a project where council own tree has roots which are seeping into garage area. Our issue we have roots that will go under our “to be” garage area for a unit as per Arborist report. As per the report, tree is mature and tall, but with a poor structure and reports decay ( m sure for council it does not mean much its their treasure)

Architects tell me that it means we need to reduce footage or remove garage etc. which has direct big impact on yield. We havent applied for planning yet, but brain storming on options.

Question:
    What are the different ways can we get around the issue ? Ideas people have used with councils to find a resolution..

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

If the tree is as bad as is stated then include its removal as part of the planning application (of need be). Planners will be influenced by a genuine arborist's report - it will be referred to Council's environment or parks and gardens dept for comment. Secondly apply to the Council for removal of the tree, independent of the application due to it's impact on your property and health (?). I suspect the problem is not insurmountable, and without the reduction of a proposed footprint. Talk to someone experienced in that problem, don't just rely on what your architect is saying.

Ethan Timor and lixas4 like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia