Tree: Norfolk Island hibiscus. It's a health hazard for the tenants?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jat, 21st Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'd appreciate your insights around this. The tenant was complaining about a big tree that is at the end of the backyard because it has some fruits stick to their cloth when they are on the clothline in the backyard.
    The PM found this out and then asked for a quote to remove it, turns out, the tree is called : Norfolk Island hibiscus and they said to remove it they need to use masks because can be dangerous.

The PM said that's our obligation to remove it because it could be dangerous to the tenants (according to the arborist that provided the quote) but I couldn't find anything that confirms that.

Also the PM said she'd call fair trading. Just in case I contacted fair trading by email asking if we are obligated to remove it or if there are issues with that particular tree and they said those things don't fall within the jurisdiction of Fair Trading (which made sense to me).

Removing the tree is about 3K but honestly I'd prefer not to spend that money if it's not a health hazard to the tenants as the PM told me. Since I couldn't find any information to confirm that, I was wondering if any one here can point me in the right direction or had a similar experience to share.

thanks in advance
    Jat!

2. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Hi,

Prefaced with I know nothing about plants and trees, did you speak to the arborist that did the quote? Have you spoken to your council? I just googled the tree and the first entry is an article comparing it to asbestos. How big is the tree? Is it currently in flower? Can you get another quote or 2? From my limited investigation, I would get rid of it.

Kassy

3. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

Thanks Kassy for your input, I checked with other 2 arborists that provided a quote, they don't agree in that this tree is a health hazard. I also checked with the local council and they have nothing against this type of tree either.
    I'll pay for the removal application form for the council anyway, so someone expert from the council can take a look to the tree and confirm if this is a health hazard or not. If it is, I'll need their approval anyway, if it's not, I will just pay for the council application which is cheaper than the $3000 to remove the tree.

regards
    Jat

4. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

You will have constant problems with tenants moving from your property. These trees are a pain in the butt (literally)! They have little pods that are filled with sharp tiny fiberglass like spindles. We have one near a unit we own in Sydney. It is on the fence line and we agreed with the neighbouring unit block that our unit block would pay for it to be removed (our side of the fence). Still can't get anyone to do the job! We have had several companies turn up to quote and never come back! It doesn't effect our unit as much as we are not in a direct line with the tree/wind direction but it is enough that it gets in our tenants washing. Blows on the balcony at different times. It can affect people with asthma and respiratory problems. It can't be good for your health breathing that in but I don't think there are any confirmed health issues other than for those who have something preexisting. I would get rid of it. It will be money well spent. No one will repair anything in the roof of your unit block without a full suit and respirator. Might cost more in the end.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I just Googled the tree... I never knew it was such a problem. I'd get rid of it.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

7. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your answers. I'm waiting for the council report so I can go ahead and chop the tree.

Magnet likes this.