NSW Tree next to house

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Cool16, 19th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

Thank you :)

Yes the stress level is always high when buying a house

very difficult to tick all the boxes

2. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

Were the roots poisoned ?

3. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Not sure, probably not if it's growing. The stump is now covered with soil and buried underneath. I think every two years this happens. So something must be growing into it. I dont see other big trees around.

4. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

upload_2022-2-9_9-58-44.png

upload_2022-2-9_9-59-1.png

Hi All Experts,

Keen to get opinion on the type of tree and the potential impact on property structure....
    2nd pic - the tree is just in front of the entrance!!

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Many councils permit trees within Xm of a dwelling to be removed if a arborist does it. Fire prone areas may even be wider. My council is 3mt. Some councils require a permit but will approve it based on proximity and disregard species. Or if its outside the radius the species and condition could be factors. Arborist report is needed. Often roots are 50-80% of the trunk diameter. And usually the diameter of roots will exceed tree height. Always grind the stump. Our arborist suggested we also poison the stump and leave a week before grinding so the poison gets to the roots too.

Way too close.

wylie and Never giveup like this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

They don't look like protected species to me - the first looks like a shrub that got out of control and the second looks like a fruit tree....

The Y-man

Never giveup likes this.
  7. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

The agent said that these provideso sime sort of shade and some privacy for the front door.

They are cut back periodically but the roots have never been a problem.

If they interfered with the power lines, that would be problematic, but they are not near them.

Fyi Prop is interstate- will the building and pest inspector be able to make a call on it or get arborist report?

May be I can email these pics for the opinion but hard to tell about roots, I think the pavement will be impacted if try to remove (but i am no expert)...

Happy to take any guidance!

8. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member

I personally don’t like trees or shrubs too close to any of my properties - have learned the hard way from previous properties the damage from roots, blocked gutters due to leaves and pine cones, and falling branches on roofs. So if I can, I would get an arborist report, and apply to the council to have them removed myself.

hematite, gman65 and Never giveup like this.
  9. yeti

yeti New Member

hi, first post here and thought i would piggyback on this thread if that's okay.

what do you think of this?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

buyer report recommends cutting these back 'away from the roof line and gutters'.

are these a no brainer to remove given the proximity? or are they small enough where the roots won't be an issue? any idea on estimated cost? house is not in a fire zone.

thanks!

10. Paul@PAS

Local council may have a tree proximity policy. In Hills Shire its 3metres. You can prune it or remove it. Sorry correction...A registered arborist must do so.

Came about after several large storms saw trees close to buildings destroy large portions of homes through limbs hit by lightning, high winds that uproot the whole thing or just broken limbs falling onto a roof. The 3m rule doesnt consider species. Roots will always be a issue. My tree was within 3m but the roots were 10m diameter and up to 6 inches dia. Wish I had acted years earlier.

Removal of tree like that maybe $1k incl stump grinding and remove all except the stump mulch for the garden. The overhanging limb may be a crane issue if they cant tie it off on other higher limbs ? . I assume its a rear yard making extra (labour) effort to lug to the street where they will mulch the limbs too. It will take them under a hour !! Send pics taken at distance and close and ask for quotes. I cant recall but I dont think I used HiPages for that and just looked at local tree loppers. I didnt want backyarders.

11. yeti

yeti New Member

Thanks Paul, someone else got this house in the end, but appreciate you taking the time to reply.

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

If you had a few trees you wanted to cut down and found an arborist who was willing to do a report to remove...can council veto that report?

13. Paul@PAS

There are various rules for each council and even some areas within a council. Registered arborists should know the rules. Only THEY can usually cut the trees or prune (10%) them If allowed or they may provide a report. In some LGAs you will need to submit an application that includes the arborist report. In some LGAs there is no need to apply for some trees. Usually for noxious and dangerous trees, damaged trees, fire zone, proximity to a dwelling etc. Yes council can disregard the report and their own officers include arborists . Council are more likley to approve evident unhealthy trees or those causing damage than unwanted nuisance trees.

14. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Yes