Tree fine in Victoria

Discussion in 'Development' started by dsman, 8th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dsman

dsman Well-Known Member

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Fake news.

It's the law.

3. 738

738 Well-Known Member

They also can make you replant same tree.

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I read some time back where locals illegally removed trees so they had ocean views, the Council replaced the trees with signage, blocking views forever and to prevent this from happening again.... Interesting and smart

Propagate and Tufan Chakir like this.
  5. dsman

dsman Well-Known Member

What is the law then?

6. dsman

dsman Well-Known Member

I read the same article I think. But that was people cutting down tall trees on nature strips that are blocking the view.

MTR likes this.
  7. dsman

dsman Well-Known Member

So does anyone knows?

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

In NSW it's the EPAA 1979
    Illegal Tree Removal

Other states have different requirements.

9. dsman

dsman Well-Known Member

Yes I'm aware NSW is very harsh for illegal tree removal.. My question is specific to VIC...

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I had massive oak trees on a recent development site I had in Croydon, Victoria (vegetation protection overlay).

I heard the fines were not going to kill me but can not confirm amount, and it was suggested by some that I poison, get rid of the trees, that would have given me an extra townhouse on the block, 4, instead of 3. Massive in terms of resale.

However, I went down the road of getting 2 arborist report and eventually got approval to have these trees removed. Neighbours were up in arms, nothing they could do because the trees were in poor condition and considered dangerous. I had 12 objections.

I would never consider removing any trees in a vegetation protection overlay, I think this would be the first mistake and a good way to get Council off side and No Permit Approvals.

MTR:)

11. Ben John1

Ben John1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing @MTR . Just wondering what would you do if you did not get the approval from the arborist and stuck with that tree?

What’s the law in VIC for cutting a ‘sacred’ tree in our own backyard? Any ideas how big is the fine or jail time maybe?

Thx

12. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

I agree with MTR - if you're thinking that the only solution is to remove a tree illegally then you are on the wrong path...working out if you can "get away with it" is not a good approach.
    And tree protection (or otherwise) will depend on the particular set of circumstances - is it protected? how? is it healthy? etc etc..it's not always as bad as people think - get the facts, make judgements from there

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi Ben
    Worse case scenario I could then only build 2 townhouses instead of 3 which would significantly reduce profit and probably kill the deal
    Was hoping from start for 4, but 3 still had good numbers

Got to always look at best/worse case scenario

Ben John1 likes this.
  14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Ben John1 likes this.
  15. seegs88

seegs88 New Member

Hi MTR - I have a massive oak tree i am wanting to get rid off for development in heathmont.
    What condition were yours in? And how big? Keen to get your advice on dealing with council? :)

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Massive old trees
    However they were in poor condition and verified by council

17. seegs88

seegs88 New Member

Thanks! Have any photos of them? What arborist did you use?

18. Ben John1

Ben John1 Well-Known Member

Can I check with council if I can remove a tree prior purchasing a property? What kind of questions should I ask them and whether they will give me the answer?

I would assume they will say no... straightaway.

19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the tress. Check for any overlays on the property, type of tree etc.

The Y-man

Ben John1 likes this.
  20. Lewis

Lewis Active Member

You can give an arborist a call. If they say your odds are not in your favour he will charge you for the visit and not the report. Believe it or not they work for you and not for the trees. If they tell you they can recommend in the report to remove there is a high chance council will aprove it. There has to be a reason though. New development? Extension? real danger? It will be in the report. They know how to justify it. I just removed a 20m tall pine tree 2 months ago in maroondah in a significant landscape overlay zone 2. (Slo2). Maroondah is one of the greenest council there is in melb. $170 for the council application. $900 for the arborist. Took a month ot get it approved and had to plant two replacement native gumtrees after the removal. ($5 each) Would not recommend to do it ilegally. If council finds out you will never get any kind permit approved from them ever. You will be blacklisted

GX1 and Ben John1 like this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.