Tree change or Sea change?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by TAJ, 7th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Both for me. Apollo Bay in Victoria on the Ocean road would be perfect to my mind. Although it's getting a little bit too touristy these days

2. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I feel that some may now be reconsidering there plan for a tree change with a good portion of NSW suffering a serious onslaught of extreme bushfires.
    Certainly hope nobody is affected by these severe outbreaks.
    Hats off to the firefighters!

3. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Agree, feeling their pain at the moment.

I have some very pointed conversations about bushfire risk when I have city clients moving out to the coast or country. 5 acres down the end of a 1 way in-and-out street surrounded by forest with 1000s of acres of national park to the west is not my idea of serenity in the bushfire season. Mostly preventable with good site selection.

On a personal note... zero regrets having left Sydney for a south coast seachange 12 years ago!

TAJ likes this.
  4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Think twice before moving into a popular seaside town - lived in the Nelson Bay, Port Stephens area for nearly 20 years, steady increase in visitors made it unlivable, crowded shopping centre, cafe's full, traffic as bad as Sydney, parking just about impossible and the attitude of some visitors :eek: The holiday season lasts as long as 7/8 months of the year and too bad if you have a heart attack or stroke, its either a helicopter ride or a 45 minute journey into Newcastle by ambulance.

wilso8948, icic, WattleIdo and 2 others like this.
  5. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

live on phillip island and really like it
    it does have a lot of tourists but the advantage of the island is that it is a huge island and still pretty quiet if you dont live in central cowes

ideally though a lake frontage with bush is the dream
    i like the beach but the wind can be harsh

korando1234 and TAJ like this.
  6. Nicho

Nicho Active Member

10-20 acres of land with ocean views somewhere along the South Coast would be perfect for me I reckon.

Side Note: I don’t know how the firefighters do it. Hats off to them for what is a tough job.

BuyersAgent and TAJ like this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Come and join us in Stocko next year ... assuming it's not an island. Then again ... boat ... :D

8. balwoges

No thanks, I have had enough of living in 'out of the way places' since I left Sydney ... :eek:
    I like shops, more shops, cafes and all those things, but I do miss the sea, however Lake Macquarie isn't a bad second.

Last edited: 10th Nov, 2019
  9. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Buying or building a house in amongst treed areas is just plain stupid. get somewhere thats cleared around with decent buffer zone. Most of the houses destroyed are totally surrounded by large eucalypt forest or on the very edge of. madness in my view.
    Does tree change mean you have to be right up against trees? I thought it just meant away from the cities/metro areas.
    Yes, hats off to the fireies absolute champions.

TAJ likes this.
  10. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I think you need an elevation change rather than a tree change.

Sea change will be followed by storm surge and climate driven catastrophe - closer you are to water, the more you have to lose (unless elevated).

Trees burn.

Elevation is the key.

get 500 - 600 m up and see the temp drop, fire risk reduce, flood risk lower, and the only thing is to ride out the tempest when it hits (get cyclone rated building done if you are on escparpments or up north).

Climate change driven BOOM to come.

korando1234 likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We're 3 blocks from the beach ... 4 blocks from the shopping district that had everything from supermarket to vet ... half a doz cafes in walking distance (including one on the beach) ... 8 blocks from the ferry that runs 6am til midnight straight into the centre of Newcastle ... pretty cosmopolitan :D

12. balwoges

Dear Lizzie, these days I consider anything further than 5 mins away from a Westfield Shopping Centre and a hospital, 'out of the way' ... :D:D:D

Lizzie and hdb like this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

14. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

This sounds absolutely terrible how are you holding up?

Lizzie likes this.
  15. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Have you ever lived in an elevated position? You are completely exposed to wind from every direction. Not ideal in my view!
    Not much point living somewhere if you are reluctant to open the windows due to getting blasted all the time.
    Give me down by the ocean anyday.

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Not living there yet. Currently rented. Should be there end of 2020 ... Currently still a tree changer and prepped for today's bushfires. Fortunately all safe

BuyersAgent likes this.