Travel & Holidays Travel

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 15th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

OMG that is terrible. Best way home direct from Sapporo is Cathay Pacific as they fly Sapporo - Hong Kong - Perth and do it in around 15hrs. We are going to fly back to Tokyo, stay at Narita airport hotel and fly again home in the morning.
    Quickest airlines are Garuda, Cathay and Qantas at around 13-15hrs for Perth to Tokyo or Osaka.

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

what..... Australia does not do it?

I am mixing it with Australian trips, there is just so much to see, we have an extraordinary country and with the AU$ falling its making sense to travel in our own country. All to their own, I plan to do Tassie, am told is magic and Darwin very much interests me. Love Port Douglas and need to do more in WA, Kimberley area - look at this Bungle Bungles

kimberley scenes bungle bungles - Google Search

ellejay and legallyblonde like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I wont fly Garuda, they have a bad safety record??? once they landed on the wrong airstrip and there have been a few other incidences?? call me chicken I want to get to my destination

4. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Sorry - I just checked - its 18hrs. Not great... but not sooo bad.

Mum wanted to stop in Singapore for a few nights to take a look. Which limited the options.

Blacky

5. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Kids club doesn't interest us as one child needs proper supervision due to a medical condition. Even if it wasn't the case we probably still wouldn't dump them there. We enjoy spending time with our kids.

Magnet likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You can spend as much or as little time you want with the kids... you might find the kids just want to go to the kids club though on sea days, and then talk to you about their day over dinner! When you go off the ship you can go and sightsee/enjoy the day as a family, and you can go and see the shows etc as a family. :)

Last edited: 16th Jan, 2016
    legallyblonde likes this.
  7. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Has anyone taken the trans Siberian or trans Mongolian rail trip?

legallyblonde likes this.
  8. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Kids LOVE kids club!

Teenagers club was pretty good too!
    d

9. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Not that specific trip.
    I did travel from Atyrau (Kazakhstan) to Moscow by rail.

Blacky

10. Ed Barton

Interesting - part the way there. Was it just transport or a 'holiday' type trip?

I'd like to see Siberia, but guessing on a train there's a lot of nothing in that part of the world. Perhaps shorter train trips combined with flights might be better.

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Garuda had a pretty dramatic turn around in the past few years and have won quite a few awards for their customer service and products Garuda Indonesia Score Skytrax’s Highest 5-Star Rating. We've flown Malaysian Airlines prior to the 2 incidents and probably would again.

MTR and hobo like this.
  12. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Yeah.
    It was a combination of holiday and neccesity. We were traveling to Moscow, but Mrs Blacky was heavliy pregnant - so couldnt fly. We figured a train journey would be something different.
    We werent on a luxury train. No 'dinner' cabins. Had to take your own. Also no showers on board (2days). We booked 4 'sleepers' so we had the entire cabin to ourselves. It was still under $200 for the trip.

There is a whole lot of nothing for most of the way. Though it is noticable when you cross the border in Russia. There is some fantastically fertile lands close to the boarder. You can even see some abandoned equipment on the Kazakh side where farmers left in the 90's at the time of the collapse of the USSR. Then you cross the boarder and it is broad acre farming.

It was good to do once.

I wouldnt mind doing a trip into Moscow then train across to St Pietersburg. That would be a good journey.
    For the more adventurous there is the Mongol Rally. UK to Mongolia in a vehicle not more than 1.5l. That would be fun.

Blacky

13. Ed Barton

That's incredibly cheap. 2 days is short enough that if you don't like it it doesn't matter. 2 weeks on the trans-Siberian and not liking it would suck.

In other words it was krap?

14. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I have SO many places I still want to visit.

Not that I've ever added it up, but I feel like compared to many I might not be the most well-travelled person in terms of total number of countries visited. But, I have lived & worked in a few different countries for extended periods. I think this has influenced my desire to do longer, slower trips to places to be able to gain more of a feel for the culture and lifestyle of an area.

So I hope in the future to be able to do many-week long trips, preferably at least a couple a year. Pretty much all of Europe, Russia, North Korea, China, etc etc etc... it's a long list!

But there are still definitely regions that I have no desire to go to - SE Asia for one holds no attraction for me.

inertia, Travelbug, Blacky and 2 others like this.
  15. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

It was good. But there is just nothing to do. You stop a long the way at some small villages, but its rarely for very long. You cant really get out and go look around.
    2days was a good length - I wouldnt want to do a 2 week journey - no matter how nice the train is.

A long story but we ended up getting stuck half way back in a little backwards town called Aktabunsk (sp?). We were there for about a week, and by the end of the week I was known as "the foreigner" around town. I had the florist take a selfie with me and post it on the window of her shop (probably with the slogan "The foreigner shops here").

Blacky

ellejay, Gockie and hobo like this.
  16. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

why not airasia stopover to kuala lumpur then direct to sapporo. most flights require stopover to tokyo narita

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone been to Morocco?
    Another fascinating place to visit

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

your right
    I am a mess when I see any cruelty to animals, I won't go to various countries for this reason. Did not witness this in Morocco myself

19. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Yep, have seen stuff that I still remember from 20yrs ago. Each to their own but I want to come home from holiday with nice memories, not PTSD type flashbacks of cruelty.

Sackie and MTR like this.
  20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd put myself one foot in that category. I don't have a huge desire to travel. But I've done a little travel. I went to Hong Kong for a week aged about 18 (with my parents) and loved it. I've been on a few cruises when single and had a good time, but eight hours in one port is not something I'd want to limit myself to now, so cruising isn't high on my list.

We never really had enough money to take the kids overseas, or even on flash holidays in Australia, but honestly, taking a family on holidays is no "holiday" for the one who plans, packs, washes, feeds, referees the inevitable fights, unpacks, washes again at the end. I preferred that we stayed at home, had friends over for sleepovers and we had a pool, so holidays at home were fun and easy. The kids never asked to go away with so much "on tap" at home.

We took the boys to San Francisco and LA to Disneyland as a treat in about 2007. It was good, but I still had to get clothes washed and herd kids, so not a relaxing holiday. I'm glad we went though.

Hubby and I went on our first "grown up" overseas holiday in 2011 to Italy, France, England and enjoyed it. We didn't eat at fancy places, and just soaked up the architecture, art and loved it. We saw some of the "must see" things but enjoyed just wandering all over the cities, getting lost and just doing what we felt like.

I'm planning another trip for later this year for our anniversary. We will travel to Europe (not sure where yet), stopping off in Hong Kong for a couple of nights to break the long trip over, have a few weeks in Europe, sail from Southampton to New York and spend some time in the US, flying home from San Francisco so we can have some more time there.

I'm looking forward to it, but if we didn't go, I wouldn't hanker after it. Perhaps I'm strange, but I don't have the travel "bug" that seems to bite many people. I'm not overly comfortable in a place where I cannot speak the language, but we managed quite well last time.

Tattler, Westminster and ellejay like this.