Travel and accomondation tax deduction for source a investment property in SMSF

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by icic, 27th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I in the process of sourcing a invest property for my SMSF.
    Can I claim travel and accommodation allowance for searching and sourcing the properties. I had to travel interstates to do that? I had a feeling that it cannot be done but just want to make sure so I put my paperwork in order.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Claim from whom?
    Tax?
    SMSF funds?
    Marg

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

no

Propertunity and icic like this.
  4. icic

icic Well-Known Member

claim from ato on tax return, smsf for property

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I think what Marg is implying is that there is 2 places you could claim off. You can claim off the ATO and this is a no answer as it's expenses incurred before the IP is bought and that is a no.
    The other source that could have either paid or possible now pay would be the SMSF. I have actually no idea if it's legal BUT just like you would pay using your own money to look for an IP the SMSF could have used it's own money to pay for your ticket/accomodation to look for it's IP.

Again I have no idea if you are allowed to use your SMSF funds to do this but it is a potential avenue. The SMSF would still not be able to claim those expenses off the ATO.

Marg4000 likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Taxpayers have never been permitted to claim travel costs to buy an IP.
    SMSFs cannot pay a private travel expense without a breach of superannuation law. The cost is not incurred to administer the fund.

Scott No Mates likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.