Travel & Holidays Travel again

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 17th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Masks no longer required at Perth Airport, but still required on plane.

USA no longer requiring negative test prior to departure - makes it much easier.

Airline changed flights, which means overnight in Japan, but they are not issuing transit visas. Airport transit hotel is not open at the moment, so it looks like we might be sleeping in the airport, so we don’t have to go through immigration.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Ouch on the airport overnight plans. Narita or Haneda airports? At least they are nice airports and well maintained. I wouldn't want to sleep overnight at Denpasar/Bali.

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The new airport (a few yrs old now) is actually quite comfortable. The shops are crap but it's not that bad...no worse than Sydney.

Westminster likes this.
  4. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Haneda.

I’m thinking it’s one way of adjusting to New York time, and of ensuring some sleep on the flight!

5. Westminster

Darn. I was hoping it was Narita. There are some paid lounges to make it better but I think these are only open during the day so you're truly stuck in the general airport area.

On second thoughts are you sure the airport hotel is closed? There is the
    Haneda Excel Hotel Tokyu in Terminal 2 which depending on dates does have some availability so is running

6. GreenTreeFrog

GreenTreeFrog Well-Known Member

No pre-flight Covid test required for NZ either from Sunday. Good timing as we head there next week. And tons of snow already!

Flew to Hawaii three weeks ago. Check in takes longer from the reams of paperwork they have to check but overall it was pretty quick through check in, immigration and security. No issues at the other end, whizzed through. Same coming back.

Hardly any duty free shops open at any of the airports.

Redwing likes this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I was intending to fly out this Saturday and was intending to have the covid test this morning at the airport for $75-00 ..

But just in case I tested myself with a InnoScreen -self - test this morning 2 times..
    Both came back positive and the 3rd one a few minutes ago is positive so I think flying out will be impossible, at least the accommodation is covered -the air fares are non-refundable just glad I was still on the offer.list for a different seat on the plane..

Redwing likes this.
  8. GreenTreeFrog

GreenTreeFrog Well-Known Member

Noooooo that’s so cruel isn’t it!! How are you feeling?

That was my worst nightmare three weeks ago! One of the 7 of us testing positive day before we fly…

Where are you flying to?

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

South East Asia as I was intending to have some sapphires cut as the cost per carats cut in Australia Compared is vastly different but I just tested myself again and it's positive so I'm glad I know now rather then finding out
    Over there even with insurances..

10. Westminster

Darn it - that's a huge bugger.
    Travel insurance will cover your air fairs though won't it?

willair likes this.
  11. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughts.

We are flying Japan Airlines, and have access to business lounge, which looks good. (Although it’s closed for an hour or so in the early morning - probably for cleaning).

I think Terminal 2 is for domestic. We are arriving at, and departing from T3. The Hotel there is open, but it requires going through immigration and “entering” Japan. It does have a transit hotel, which doesn’t require going through immigration, but it’s currently closed, (due to Covid protocols I assume.)

It’s possible Japan will change in the next couple of weeks and re-start transit visas.

Westminster likes this.
  12. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Nobody showed the slightest interest in sighting my Covid vax proof leaving Australia.

GreenTreeFrog likes this.
  13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The question is, why did your Covid vax proof leave Australia in the first place?

The Y-man likes this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My wife has had to travel back to Mexico at short notice. We couldn't believe how much more expensive it is to travel there now.

Initially she thought the prices were a little too high, but then realised that the prices were showing in USD.

15. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

All depends on your destination. Most countries in Europe don't need it, Spain one of the last ones to still require it, except from last week can use negative test instead. Most people's vaxes would have expired already anyway and not be accepted unless they had a booster.

Last edited: 18th Jun, 2022
  16. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Thailand has announced they will be scaping their travel pass from 1 July

GreenTreeFrog and Lacrim like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Friend travelled back to SthAfrica, to visit fam - apparently the plane was so stuffed it was literally two to a seat ... I gather everyone's trying to cram 3 years of travel into 6 months.

Another friend arrived in the UK last week (accompanying hubby on work trip) and caught Covid - sick as a dog in the hotel room.

18. Vertigo

Vertigo Well-Known Member

I have been travelling for the last 12 months, last 6 months intensively non stop, mostly international. No problems with anything...testing, visa's, departure times etc etc all perfect. I strongly recommend to disregard all the naysayers and book your tickets. Especially fun has been Singapore, Maldives and Indonesia.

GreenTreeFrog, Redwing and Terry_w like this.
  19. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

You haven't been to China then.

Looks like I will come home to Aus for a funeral next week. Which means returning to China afterwards and going through that whole pre-flight testing and 3-4 week hotel isolation ordeal, yet again. :(

20. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

A lot of Europe is total chaos to travel in at the moment travel, massive queues, delays and cancellations. Not enough staff after they were let go in the pandemic.

Mayhem predicted for travel this summer