Travel & Holidays Travel again

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 17th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I personally cannot justify why I would spend $500K on Ferrari when the driving speeds are there for all vehicles similar, I just want a reliable car to get from point A to point B, yet I would fly business class or first class for longer trips.
    I think it depends on personal values, wants and choices each person makes, but I like your Percentage (%) comparison to put it into monetary perspective.

AP3 and MTR like this.
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I would no either but some people are car nuts... Just like I am made for good food and travel

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It is like everything we do. We each place a value on certain things. Flying business class seems like a waste of money for us, so we choose not to pay it.

Plenty of people without much in the way of assets buy fancy cars. I was telling hubby about this thread and he said if we divide the airfare by the number of hours we might be less comfortable, it is eye opening.

I'd love to have a lie flat seat, but no way would I part with $8k for a trip to Europe (two flights). Even with a lie flat seat you can't avoid jet lag. We could afford it, but neither of us has the desire to spend it. We'd rather spend it over there.

skater, AP3, Lacrim and 1 other person like this.
  4. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Agree, I am not a car nut but I would easily spend that on other things (collectibles, art, jewellery, just to name a few, deposit for another property....) :D
    Hence each preference is individual and unique. Know someone that really invests and collects cars too and know someone else who has much more net worth and drives just comfortable cars.

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I hear ya.

Madly trying to sell down now.. I reckon a long winter ahead for Sydney....properties. want to capitalise there

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What jet lag ?just sleep and relax, then enjoy lovely food and choice of nice wines.

Marg4000 likes this.
  7. tedjamvor

tedjamvor Well-Known Member

I fly economy and business regularly, and I avoid jet lag in both. It's all about attitude and application.

Jet lag is caused by **** poor planning. Know the timezone you're landing in and act accordingly.

If I'm flying QF93 to LAX, and it lands at 6am, I know I want to sleep on the plane, so I don't sleep the night before. If I'm continuing on QF11 to JFK, I will sleep the night before, as it lands at 5pm in NYC so I want to be ready for bed by the time I've hit the hotel, and had some tea.

Other family members will try to defy the physics and end up "jet lagged" which really just means, stuck in the wrong timezone. Landing at 10pm and not going to bed until 7am, or lanidng at 10am and going to bed. Setting yourself up for failure.

The bed is for comfort, but isn't necessary. Nice for anything further away than Asia. Asia only when work is paying.

Terry_w likes this.
  8. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

That will be fantastic. I've spent a few weeks at a time up a Perisher Valley in the off-season (Jan - April) and it's magnificent. But don't go in January, the horse-flies are bloody annoying.

9. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Yes nice work they have done, we have “accidentally” dropped in on the new track a couple of times in the last 2 summers. It’s easy to miss those signs they only put at the two ends of the track :)

10. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

The March flies are vicious but the flowers are still amazing in January. DEET (bushman’s) and don’t wear dark clothing are my best tips.

11. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Indeed, it's stunning up there.

It was on training camps with the cycling team, and those little fly b*****ds would bite you on the arse through the lycra while you were going 30-40km/h.

Sitting in an alpine stream after a couple of hours riding up to Charlotte's pass is great.

12. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

I have shared a lodge in charlotte pass with cyclists training many times. It’s possible we have crossed paths at some time!

Baker likes this.
  13. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Nothing betterer than doing the Kosciuszko Walk while wearing T-shirt, shorts and flip flops.*

Who needs to pay $5k+ to sit up at the pointy end of an aircraft when you have that level of excitement?

*No I haven't but did get caught out the first time with clothing wasn't totally appropriate for the conditions (25C at Thredbo and minus whatever at the top with rain coming in sideways.)

Islay likes this.
  14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

January 1st, 1981 - we walked up Mt Kosciuszko in tshirts (and jeans and shoes) in beautiful weather and were delighted to find snow (actually slushy ice) - the first time we'd ever seen snow, having grown up in regional SA.

That's me on the left about to throw a snowball iceball.

13.jpg

A bit of trivia for you: my Dad has actually driven to the top of Mt Kosciuszko - back in the late 60s there was just a road and none of the walking tracks you have now. He and I think his father (?) literally just drove their car to the top (or close to it).

Redwing, bonchovies, Baker and 3 others like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've flown internationally quite a number of times, and have tried all those things. We still are jet lagged (moreso flying home).

Perhaps you are lucky.

We did find Melatonin helped, taken three nights prior to flying home, but it is an over the counter medication here that can get you into trouble if it is found in some countries.

16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Done the similar QF11 into LAX. The urge to sleep when you land is overwhelming. Lie flat bed or not i can't sleep on planes.

Last edited: 7th Jun, 2022
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We had the option of heading overseas in 2 weeks ... or November.

We chose November due to currently having to be at the airport for check-in 4 hours beforehand (5am check-in would mean leaving home at 2am to get there) and an authorised pcr, or doctor signed rat, 24 hours prior.

Hoping it all calms down by the time we head off

Last edited: 7th Jun, 2022
  18. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Oh no is it still going on?

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

According to the travel agent last week

Terry_w likes this.
  20. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Picking up passports for the kids tomorrow. I put them on expedited to ensure they would be ready in time as there was all those articles about processing time blowouts and even Aus Post told me that expedited was currently taking 2-3 weeks instead of 2 days. So I lodged and voila get a SMS to collect 2 days later lol!
    But at least they are ready and I can tick that off my list.

Lizzie and Gockie like this.