Trashed Property

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Joely, 7th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

I posted to this thread back in March and after 15 years of renting my place has also been trashed by the tenants. The damage is not as bad as Joelys and my insurer is paying out for the damage but the problem is the removal of all the crap. I have spent about $3000 so far and the bond will only covers $1800 which the insurer will not pay. On top of that my excess is $1000 so this is going to cost me a fair amount. The insurer says they will pursue the tenant for my excess and their costs but judging by the number or debt collection notices in the letter box I doubt they will get much..

2. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear! Was the PM also negligent is your case as well?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

I can't really blame the agent. I have had inspection reports from them sent to me every three months and the last one was in July. A few things were noted but nothing major. It was just after then that they went into arrears and after all the promises to pay amounted to nothing we started eviction proceeding which eventuated in a notice to leave by mid September. This of couse passed so we had to get the police in two weeks later. The agent turned up with the locksmith to change the locks but they had already gone by then leaving a stinking pile of crap.

Michael Mitchell and Dan Wood like this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yup - can go downhill might fast.

For people with separate LL and buidling insurance, make sure to look at claiming on both.

The Y-man

5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yes, sue the PMs ass if you have contracted inspections not done, heaps of them rely on one one checking or doing anything..............

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Who has a PM contract that says they will act in ways to ensure tenants are good and the owner is assured there is no damage? None. Good luck with a claim for damages.

LL insurance and regular tenant management will diminish risk

Michael Mitchell likes this.