Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Trash or Treasure

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 23rd Jul, 2015.

1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

As they say... what may be someone's trash is another persons treasure.

I am astounded at what people place on the verge collection these days.

I have seen practically band new lounge suits, dining tables, coffee tables etc.
    What I have noticed is the quality of furniture on the verge has jumped up a notch, what's going on? We are certainly a disposable society. We have plenty of people rocking up in their utes and loading up, I think its great, recycle why not, and its free.

Most of my bargains have been at auctions, op shops, second hand stores, garage sales.
    Always hoping to pick up something special and I did some years ago, it was an old/antique side table not in great condition but had good bones. It was very dirty, almost black in colour, nothing special. Once I started cleaning it, sanding it back I found the most magnificent oak and rosewood parquetry top. That was my best find, nothing lately though.

Anyone on the hunt?

MTR:)

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

"Anyone on the hunt?"

Always ;)

3. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Oooh,always MTR! Found the best mid century atomic sort of armchair in a skip in the street, best of all picked up an entire five piece 50's vinyl lounge suite last year on the side of the road. Each chair a different coloured vinyl, two armchairs, then the suite with two chairs having one arm each then one with none, so it can be placed together or pulled apart. Waiting for Mirrabooka Polytechnic aka Balga TAFE to run their upholstery course again! My entire house is furnished from the side of the road including the Victorian mahogany dining table, found at the side of the road, wt?

MTR likes this.
  4. MTR

Are you serious, :)

I have a confession, found out Queens hotel mt lawley ditched Art Deco chairs in skip at rear. Dragged DH reluctantly to salvage and bring home to where they belong. We got about 10 of these babies, we have no shame;)

MTR

5. MTR

Anything lately..:)

Mtr

EN710 likes this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Nearly cried, one day at the tip when I was tossing out 30 yr old carpet.

We were looking for a good condition but cheap (ie, second hand) leather/vinyl lounge for the games room at our tourist cottages ... when a skip truck rocked up and disgorged a nearly brand new leather lounge, a fabric lounge and an unblemished fridge right onto the tip face.

I couldn't possibly shove them into my Corolla, regardless of it being a tardis in disguise, so I raced down to the tip shop to ask if they would rescue them for me while a friend bought over their trailer ... I'd be happy to pay ... only to be advised they don't take things from the tip face itself.

In hindsight I should've offered the skip driver $100 cash to load the leather lounge back into his truck and deliver it 10 minutes down the road to my place ...

Gockie and EN710 like this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

No longer on the hunt for a long time (I used to as a student)

Hubby has the determination not to be one of those people who throw out good usable stuff simply because they're no longer meet our needs, so most of our items are very well researched. They're not going anywhere until very broken ;)

8. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

MTR, I get great, retro stuff from the Balcatta tip shop, one of my favourite places to go. Still love wombling when there is a bulk pick up, got a mature finger lime a couple of weeks ago, had to wrestle to get it into then Getz but I managed :)

MTR and Lizzie like this.
  9. MTR

Hi Mortidorg
    OK, I think I now well and truly stocked up.
    I have been collecting too much stuff, but loving it.

I should have also mentioned gumtree, I have never ever had any luck trying with buying or selling, but we have friends that have found some amazing furniture and even an Italian kitchen from high spec display home which they recently installed, brilliant.

MTR:)

10. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Got these - currently waiting in the warehouse until my deck is done.

Have a full matching set of four with coffee table and sprung cushions like a bed mattress.

Wasnt until I took the covers off to measure up a recover that I saw the original tag on the springset - 1955 - Jamaica.

Chairs.jpg

WattleIdo, Lizzie and MTR like this.
  11. MTR

12. Aaron Sice

Come North, change some currency and hang out on collection day.

Everything up this way needs to be brand new. White leather couches will be the next thing to end up on the heap.

13. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Have to share a little story that is one of those once in a lifetime things. My partner and I frequent an auction house and look for things that we can either clean up and resell or recognise individual pieces in bulk lots that we can make money on by reselling on ebay. Recently I bought a new range hood still in it's box that sells for $1200 new for $50, it is now installed in our kitchen. Anyway back to the story...last year we spotted a shelf lot that had in it a couple of brass charger plates, we had sold one before for $70 so knew we could make money out of it if we got it for the right price. We bought the shelf lot for $50 and were quite happy as we knew we could make money out of the chargers and a couple of other items as well. In the lot were a couple of middle eastern looking coffee pots didn't really pay much attention to them as I didn't know what they were. So we sold the chargers and then I thought I had better start on the rest of the lot, after lots of research and I mean lots (it's hard to identify stuff if you don't know what it is) I worked out that they were Ottoman Dallahs. So got to and spent several hours with Brasso and cleaned one up to within an inch of it's life and listed it on ebay at a starting price of $39.99 figured I would get between $70-80 for it. Listed it on Fri nite for 7 days and almost imediately got a bid on it. Up early on Sunday morning to go to golf and there is an email in Arabic offering 4000$, I read it as $40 as he had missed out the decimal point and had the dollar sign at the wrong end laughed it off as he was offering 1 cent more than I already had a bid for....or so I thought.
    Got home from golf and there are more emails in Arabic asking me to take it off and they will pay the price I want, so I said to my partner what the heck lets call their bluff and put a Buy it Now price of $1000 unfortunately (fortunately) once there is a bid you can not put a Buy it Now price.
    That week I had to go to NZ for biz and the bids crept up to several hundred dollars really excited!
    I always ring my partner in the morning to say Hi etc when I am away so on the Wednesday I ring her and she logs into ebay and I hear a gasp on the phone and ask what's the matter? Said Dallah has just gone up to $4500! Anyway it was finishing on the Friday night and I was on my laptop and she was at home on the computer and we are on the phone refreshing the screen in the final minutes of the listing going " it's gone to $5000 no its now 6 no it's now $6500" very exciting it ended up selling for $14,000!!! That was the first one the second one sold for $19,000! to the same person. I reckon that is one helluva ROI ! Well that's my trash or treasure story, would love to repeat it but as I said one of those once in a lifetime things.

Lizzie, Catalyst, WattleIdo and 3 others like this.
  14. Aaron Sice

wow! that's so cool - i love it when you have a bargain and you don't know what for.

15. MTR

@Samten
    That's pretty amazing return on your money.:)

MTR

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

What's brass charger plates?

The only chargers I know are for batteries, or the things used in Papillon used for smuggling small items into prison, before the days of X-rays.

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Large platters ;)

18. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Thanks Wylie ...a lady of taste obviously:)

19. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I've got both..trash and treasure in one item. A strongly appreciating asset ( precious gemstone) done Sydney numbers in terms of price growth yet is incredibly illiquid and cant sell...so it's nothing but an unrealised holding gain...Which cannot be realised. Wtf now that's frustrating.

20. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

All our furniture is 2nd hand, bought from Gumtree and EBay. Furniture is good quality hardwood furniture or good brand and quality sofas. all bought only fraction of the prices of new stuff.